Best Pets To Get Post-Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s spring semester, a whole new year, and for some, a start to an end. Although it may be nerve-wracking, it is incredibly exciting that so many students will be graduating this year, moving on to new campuses, jobs, cities, and lives. Used to being surrounded by loving friends and constant chatter in common rooms, dining halls, and lecture spaces, some students may not find the transition easy. However, I believe that any transition is easier with a friend. So why not buy one?

Here are some of the top five easiest pets to take care of, post-graduation

1. Turtles

Aquatic turtles enjoy eating leafy greens and are comfortable in tanks just four times their tiny size. They will need enough room for drinking water and a warm hiding place (look into heat lamps), but these are definitely easy pets!

Price: $20-$40

2. Fish

Fish are one of the cheapest and easiest pets to keep, as long as you don’t mind just watching them swim back and forth all day! I would suggest the Japanese Fighting Fish (Betta), which is fed about once every other day. It enjoys solitude in a small bowl.

Price: can be under $10

3. Hermit Crabs

Hermit crabs are deemed easy and economical. Just don’t be freaked out when they lose their skin as they grow, or when they bury themselves deep underground for periods of time.

Price: can be under $10

4. Guinea Pigs or Dwarf Hamsters

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals agrees that Guinea pigs are excellent starter pets, weighed around just 1kg and living a life span of 4-5 years. If you are looking for something just a tad cuter, dwarf hamsters too are docile fluffy love bugs that just go after your heart.

Price: Dwarf hamsters can cost around $15 while Guinea pigs can cost around $30

5. Chinchillas

Although one of the more expensive options, chinchillas are easy to play with, easy to clean, and their cages rarely ever smell. They are considered a smart animal, and although they are nocturnal, they will usually take on your lifestyle, enjoying to be pet during the day.

Price: over $100

Shannon Stocks is a Junior at Boston University in the Sargent School for Health Sciences, majoring in Speech Language and Hearing Sciences. She has always loved to write and focuses this passion on her poetry. In her free time, you can find her at spin class on Newbury Street, working on a project in the community service center, or at the Hillel House. She loves being a part of the Her Campus Team!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.