Beating Homesickness at BU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We’ve all heard the clichés about how to avoid homesickness: don’t go home on weekends, talk to new people, eat your favorite meal. However, since no other school is quite like BU, it only makes sense that homesickness is different for BU students as well. These tips are particularly tailored for getting through your first year in this new, exciting city.

1. Take a break from social media

It’s no secret that the course work at BU is more intense than some other schools. The last thing you need to see when you’re holed up studying in the library is Instagram pictures of your friends from home going out every night at their schools (shots on a Wednesday, really?). Taking a few days off of Twitter and Facebook can not only help you focus on your work, but it can also stop you from comparing your college experience to your friends’.

2. Go to 100 Baystate. Often.

Obviously it’s more convenient to eat at West Campus or Warren, seeing as you don’t even have to leave your building. However, BU’s newest dining hall is more like a five-star restaurant than a cafeteria. The atmosphere is nicer, the food tastes better, and my friends and I even swear that our conversations are more sophisticated at Marciano Commons. I have made a pact to eat at Baystate for dinner at least once a week. West and Warren are for eating, Baystate is for dining.

3. Go down to the Charles River

There is nothing like autumn in New England, and there is no better place to experience fall in Boston than on the Charles. With the crisp autumn breeze and the leaves falling, walking along the river can make you forget that you’re in a bustling city and place you in a state of serenity. Go for a run (endorphins!), rent a bike, or simply sit on a bench with a good book. Nothing clears the mind better than leaving campus for a bit and looking out at the beautiful river. The old saying “fresh air will do you good” has never been more right.  

4. Remind yourself why you came to Boston

Whether it was for their academics, the city life, or something as silly as the amazing food, there is a reason you chose BU. When you’re sitting in your dorm room alone, it is easy to begin questioning your decision and the inevitable “Would I have been better off somewhere else?” thoughts start. This is the perfect opportunity to remind yourself why you chose Boston University. Take some time to make a bucket list of new things you want to experience during your time here. Whether it be something as important as studying abroad or attending a Red Sox game, every future moment can contribute to your experience and ensure that the next four years are the best of your life.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.