5 Reasons to Spend Your Next Semester Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We’ve all heard it before- studying abroad is a once in a lifetime experience! Having spent the past two months in New Zealand as part of BU’s Auckland Internship Study Abroad Program, I can honestly say I wholeheartedly agree. I’m telling you collegiettes, you don’t want to miss out on this opportunity. Especially when BU makes it so easy for us with over a hundred different programs for different majors across the globe. If just the mere mention of this once in a lifetime experience isn’t convincing enough, here are five more reasons why you should spend your next semester abroad!

1.Change of Pace: There’s a reason a majority of students study abroad their junior year; Following the sophomore year slump, you are going to need a change of pace! Now a semester abroad isn’t for everyone, but if you are considering studying abroad, it is the perfect way to get off campus, try new things and meet new people, and gain a different perspective on life. Don’t get me wrong; I am in love with all things BU! But sometimes being on the same campus, seeing the same people, and following the same old routine semester after semester can be a little monotonous. Wherever you end up going and whatever you end up doing while abroad will be unlike any other experience you have on campus and will give you that much-needed break!

2.Learn About Yourself: Stepping, rather leaping, outside your comfort zone is a defining factor of studying abroad. There is no better time to learn about yourself, to find yourself, than when you are in a completely new environment, surrounded by an unfamiliar culture, with foreign people with different values and beliefs. Your experience abroad, away from the familiarity of home, family and friends, and routine, will reveal your own true perspectives of yourself and your beliefs and values.

3.Open Your Mind: Without a doubt, sometimes I feel like I am living in a bubble at home or at BU. Studying abroad will open your mind to what lies outside this bubble. You will have the chance to experience an alternate culture firsthand, and the cultural differences that define another country. Your worldview will expand for the better, and you will return home with a greater understanding of what it means to be a world citizen, with a much less biased view towards other cultures and people.

4.Gain Life Experience: In middle school I remember thinking I can’t wait to be in high school, and in high school I remember thinking I can’t wait to be in college. As soon as you get to college, you stop wishing for the next stage. No one wants to face real life. Its scary, but collegiettes, you have to face it sometime! Studying abroad will bring you one step closer to being ready for what lies ahead. While studying abroad you are immersed into a completely new environment, with little support and little knowledge. Its your chance to overcome whatever challenges come your way and throw yourself into unfamiliar situations. You will learn lessons on and strengthen your abilities to handle and adapt to all sorts of real-life experiences.

5.And of course, Travel: So we all are familiar with the travelling aspect of studying abroad. If you choose to study abroad, you are going to be in a new country, most likely for the first time, and there are going to be so many great experiences ahead of you. However, your travels shouldn’t be about checking off as many countries as you can or how many Instagram pictures you can get out of the adventure. Take this chance to choose a country to be your home for the next few months that you have always wished to visit. There is no better way to learn the ins and outs of a country than experiencing its culture, people, and sights firsthand. 

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis