5 Cute & Easy No-Heat Summer Hairstyles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

No heat? No problem. Here are some of my favorite pretty and effortless ways to style hair without heat.

1. The headband updo: I learned about this hairstyle about a year ago on YouTube. It looks complicated, but it’s actually one of the easiest styles ever! You simply put a headband on top of your head (I recommend using a pretty beaded one) and tuck your hair into the headband, creating an updo look. You can then pull out any face framing hairs/set it with a beach spray or hairspray. This hairstyle is awesome for the wash-and-go girl—you do it with wet hair (don’t worry—it looks super polished with wet hair). Once it dries and you take it out, your hair will have amazing curls. It basically mimics what a curling iron would do; it creates super pretty curls that curl in a flattering away-from-your-face way. Talk about perfection.

2. The messy bun: Ok, I’ll admit that my hair is in this hairstyle pretty much half of the week! There’s just something about a messy bun that is so great. Whether you’re going to the gym or a formal event, a messy bun is appropriate! Plus, it’s super easy. I recommend doing this on second or third day hair; the hair’s natural oils will help with building the body that you want for the messy bun, and dry shampoo is pretty much essential for creating the volume needed for a good bun.

3. Braiding for beachy waves: I can’t say how great this is! Even girls with pin-straight hair can achieve beach waves this way. Simply braid your wet hair at night, sleep on it, and you will have beachy textured hair the next morning.

4. The half pony: This has made a comeback! Easy and perfect for all occasions. A win-win!

5. Braids, braids, and more braids: Anything and everything with braids is easy and always looks good. I particularly love the picture below—she has a braid across the crown of her head, which then turns into a side fishtail braid. Gorgeous!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.