16 Struggles Jewish Girls Face Every Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

No matter your religion, there is no denying that there is something wonderful about the holiday season! Shops put up lights, there’s an abundance of food and if you live in the north, there’s snow. But the holidays do bring up some annoyances, especially if you don’t celebrate Christmas. Here are 16 struggles Jewish girls face during the most wonderful time of the year.

1. Not being totally sure where Hanukkah is going to fall on the Western calendar

Yeah you know it always falls on the 25th of Kislev, but that could be any time.

2. Trying to not explode from all the Latkes your family makes and then forces on you 

“Oh no I couldn’t possibly have one mo… yeah okay give me three” 

3. The severe lack of ugly Hanukkah sweaters

You just want to be as tacky as all of your Christian friends.

4. As a kid, always having to hold your tongue when your friends believed Santa was real

Being five and wanting to spread the hot gossip that Santa was really a parent was the worst. 

5. “Merry Christmas” Being the standard holiday greeting

Sometimes it’s not worth the correction, especially if it’s to a retail worker.

6. Trying not to light yourself on fire while lighting the Menorah 

The eighth night is pure terror basically.

7. There are enough spellings of Hanukkah to use a different one every night

There must be more than Driedel Driedel Driedel… right?

9. When people think that Hanukkah is the most important Jewish Holiday

It’s actually pretty minor in comparison to others. It only got big because of how commercialized it is.

10. When people ask if you have a Christmas tree even though you’re Jewish

No…

11. Listening to people complain about the “War on Christmas” 

You still get all of your holidays off work. Okay, calm down. 

12. There are so many Christmas movies and so few Hanukkah movies 

Just a few would be nice…

13. If your family does presents, finding eight different things for each family member

*cries internally forever *

14. If Hanukkah falls too early you have to spend it all at school 

* cries externally forever *

15. Having to explain the story of Hanukkah as a kid every single year 

Nope, sorry, should have listened in third grade, or second grade.

16. When you get together with your family and your mom, grandmother, aunts, and the entire family ask when you’re gonna meet a nice Jewish boy

Yep!

Despite all of these struggles, there is no denying that this time is awfully pretty, and some things are more important than sassing a friend about asking you for the millionth time if you’re celebrating “Jew Christmas” this year. 

Sophie is a junior at Boston University studying Psychology and Education. When she isn't memorizing parts of the brain or writing papers on the philosophies of teaching, she likes to dance, shop, and obsess over her pet rabbit.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.