10 Things Girls From The Midwest Know To Be True

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

At an East Coast school like BU, it’s hard to meet other girls from the Midwest. In a sea of “cape houses” and “Jersey girls”, finding another collegiette to bond with over brutal winters is tough. If you need a little dose of Midwest comfort here are 13 things that Midwestern girls know to be true.

1. The absolute joy that is Caribou Coffee.

Sorry East Coasters, Dunkin Donuts has nothing on Caribou.

2. “I’m going to the beach,” means going to the lake.

Maybe on the coasts the beach is oceans and waves, but in the Midwest going to the beach is a lakeside event. Taking out a canoe or a kayak and feeling the breeze is the best way to spend a summer afternoon.

3. Ending up at Perkins

If you’ve never ended up at Perkins after a school dance, performance, party, or football game did you even grow up in the Midwest?

4.  “Oh you’re from the Midwest? That’s just a bunch of flyover states”

Just, no.  Chicago? Minneapolis? There are large cities in the Midwest.

5. East coast winters are NOTHING compared to what you’re used to back home.

Yeah all that snow is impressive, but unless it’s 50 degrees below zeros it isn’t a true winter.

6. There is crazy, and then there is Mall of America on Black Friday Crazy

Nothing beats the rush of getting a great deal in the biggest mall in the U.S.

7. Mosquitos.

Yeah yeah the East coast has them too, but unless you are from the Midwest you do not know the struggle of walking outside and being swarmed by the worst bugs imaginable.

8. You actually know your neighbors.

“What do you mean you’ve never borrowed eggs from your neighbor?”

9. State Fairs

When summer comes to a close, it means one thing: fair season. Nights of fried food, rollercoasters, and award winning farm animals are some of the best things from any Midwestern girl’s childhood.

10. Interstate Competition is REAL.

It’s not only about the football rivalry, but more of a deep sense of state pride that all Midwesterners have.

So if you are a Midwestern girl who is missing home or an East coaster that is trying to connect with a Midwestern friend, this was just ten reasons why the Midwest is best.         

Sophie is a junior at Boston University studying Psychology and Education. When she isn't memorizing parts of the brain or writing papers on the philosophies of teaching, she likes to dance, shop, and obsess over her pet rabbit.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.