My Freshmen Story: Taking the Lead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

My Freshmen Story is a freshmen blog series written by our talented HC Bryant staff. We decided to start this because we’ve all been in those shoes that ached in nervousness, excitement, and confusion before beginning our first day as Bryant University freshmen. We know you are about to put on those shoes and figured you’d love to know exactly what to expect…so ready for your freshmen year?

Stepping into freshmen year, is there anything specific you want to do? Attend a party at the townhouses? Climb up onto the globe in the entrance? Join a club? Excel in school? Well, walking into my freshmen year, now almost two years ago, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. I had no idea if I would be invited down to the townhouses, if I would find a club that I loved, if the school work would be too demanding, or if I would get in trouble for climbing up on the globe! (Hint: the seniors LOVE having the freshmen down at the townhouses-actually the whole campus does! You will definitely find one, two, maybe even three clubs that you love! If you climb up on the globe at night; maybe DPS won’t notice. And if you did well in high school, chances are college will be the same way.)

I was way too nervous to even think about getting heavily involved within Bryant because I had no idea what to expect or even what to do, but looking back I am so happy of the choices I made because now I can sit here and tell you all about my story of taking the lead.

Taking the lead in any environment is so important, especially at Bryant. Bryant is primarily known for its business so taking the lead is something that is pretty much expected. If you are shy, don’t fret a bit because by Junior year you will most likely want to get up and give a speech, be excited to present in front of a professor, and better yet look forward to presenting your marketing plan in front of TJX representatives.

Bryant prepares you so well for your future with all the group projects you will take on. It’s going to be one of those things that you won’t truly appreciate until you step into the corporate world. Freshmen year I had to take a Business101 course with Professor Rubin. The course load was heavy, the class was demanding, and the tests were near to impossible (for me at least) and it was hands down one of my favorite courses-and Rubin is one of my favorite professors! I was thrown into a group with four other people I did not know and it was challenging-did I know if they would get the project done? Were they going to slack? Were they going to be mean? Lots of questions ran through my head and that is when I decided to take the lead. In almost every group project you do here at Bryant, one team member is asked to take position as “Team Leader”. I decided to take the position because I had no idea who these kids were but I knew who I was; I knew I was conscientious, determined, confident, and a bit of a control freak. With a business education, you will learn all of these things build up to success.

My advice for freshmen year is to take this position and grind into it as hard as you can! Freshmen year is all about first impressions and if you begin impressing professors right away by becoming a team leader, taking control of good and bad situations in your group, presenting in competitions, and getting an A in a class, well then you are off to a very good start.

Your four year career at Bryant will go by quicker than you can possibly believe so you have to make the most out of it. Taking the lead in the classroom, organizations, clubs, and anything else you can think of will give you a handful of experience which will never be able to be replaced. You will have plenty of weekends to walk down to the Townhouses, many nights to try and climb up onto the globe, numerous clubs who would love to have you as a member, and four years to excel…however, the opportunity to have a leadership role will not come as often. Future employers will love someone who knows how to work the room when they walk into it and Bryant gives you that opportunity—all you have to do is take it.

Image taken from http://weheartit.com/entry/13213075

Guess what? We would absolutely love to hear back from you! If you are an incoming freshmen and either have questions, comments, or even would love to get started with us this fall, shoot us over an email at HerCampus@Bryant.edu, like our Her Campus Bryant University Facebook page, or comment below!

Jessica is a senior at Bryant University where she is majoring in management and double minoring in marketing and communication.  She holds the position as Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Bryant and was actually one of the first founding members!  Beyond Her Campus Bryant, she is the Vice President of the Bryant Marketing Association and a MyPath Mentor.  She loves working at the Amica Center for Career Education where she manages their marketing and social media efforts but also enjoys her time at the Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership and the school's bookstore. When at home in Connecticut, she loves to watch movies with her family, play with her dog, have bonfires with friends, sleepovers with her sister, and scrapbook! Jessica aspires to one day manage her own department of a fortune 500 company, or even run her own company with a little bit of writing on the side!  Upon graduating this coming May, she will jump-start her career at EMC as a Marketing Development Associate in the Marketing Development Program.