How to Own Your Walk of Shame

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Plenty of us have been there before…you’re out having fun with your friends and decide that the next guy you see has “potential.”  We’re here to tell you it is OKAY, ladies! After all, we can’t hold a one night stand against each other. Remember that it requires two people to hook-up. If men think that this is okay for them, you have to hold women to the same standards. No more of this double standard nonsense! If you’re seeing this on campus- and let’s be real, it happens pretty often- empathize or sympathize with them instead of judging! Oh, and trust me, it’s not just the women walking. We have seen plenty of men doing their own walk of shame. In order to make your walk of shame appear to be just a casual morning walk, here are a few tips.

1. Makeup: You never know when you’re going to need to cover up any “marks” from the night before. Also, it never hurt to have fresh makeup the next morning. If you’re carrying a purse, pack a little makeup so you look fresh-faced and beautiful in the morning.  If you’re not going to carry makeup or a purse, then just make sure you wash your face and freshen up in the morning.
  2. Extra hair ties: Yes, we all know how gorgeous your hair looked before going out, but we’re here to tell you that after spending the night with a guy that hair won’t look the same…especially if you used products to get it to look that good in the first place. In this case, braids and buns are your best freidns, so make sure you have a spare hair tie on you at all times.
  3. The shoes: Ladies if you’re going to wear your heels out, prepare to wear them back. Not wearing your shoes on the walk back just gives people confirmation of your late night hook-up. Be mindful when you pick your footwear for the night that you may be wearing it home in the morning too!
  4. The clothes: Wearing your outfit from the night before may be the most embarrassing part, but if you’re going to wear those clothes at night be confident that you look hot in them! Before leaving, make sure they aren’t on inside out or backwards.
  5. The walk: This is the most difficult part for all the ladies out there. Don’t be so down on yourself when leaving a guy’s room. It happens to the best of us so don’t let it consume you-walk with confidence! The best way for people to see you’re owning it is walking with a head held high and having that extra something that says, “Yes, I spent the night…and no I’m not ashamed of it.”

The single most embarrassing part of hooking up with someone can be the dreaded walk of shame in the morning. But, you can use these tips to keep your head high and still have confidence walking home the next day. Remember, if you’re confident enough to get yourself into a situation like that, you are confident enough to own it!

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.