Hooking Up: How to Talk About Your Night Like a Lady

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Hooking Up (verb) \ˈhu̇k\ing\ˈəp\:  to become associated; especially in a working, social, or sexual relationship.

But what does it really mean? It’s an ambiguous word we use to avoid talking about what really happened last night. It could either mean a quick make-out session at the town houses or going all the way after making it back from Rentes. Everyone has their own definition of what hooking up means, which is why hooking up is so hard to define. 

The truth of the matter is, no one wants to talk about their night in explicit detail, using words like fingering, hand job, oral sex, intercourse, or just SEX in general, over brunch at Salmo while everyone can hear. As a ‘lady,’ hooking up is easier on the ears than explaining your night explicitly, and why would we say sex if we can just say hooking up instead? Unfortunately this leaves your hookup up for interpretation, which may or may not be something you want. For those who are looking to be explicit without getting strange looks over omelets and bagels, we have made an easy non-scandalous hook up code to clear up the ambiguity, thanks to a fellow male on campus.

Hookup 1 – Any kissing or touching over your clothes, like the OTPHJ [Over the Pants Hand Job].

Hookup 2 – Fingering or hand job.

Hookup 3 – Oral sex.

Hookup 4 – Sexual Intercourse.

Hookup 5 – Anal sex.

We hope that this helps clear up you and your friends’ already hazy weekends!