DIY Spring Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Sick and tired of the winter weather and ready for the spring season? What better way to update your room than having a bonding session with you and your roommates for some crafty fun? Get together and check out Pinterest for some cheap and easy DIY dorm decorations. Here are a few cool ways to spice up your dorm room with a splash of the spring season.

Hanging Fabric Doilies– A burst of enegry hanging from the walls can put you and your guests in the spring spirit
What  you need

• 6 and 4 inch paper doilies
  • Scissors
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scrap book paper
  • String
  • Staples/ Sewing equiptment

Steps

1. Start off with 6 inch and 4 inch paper doilies. Cut off the lace edges and use center circles as templates to cut out as many fabric circles as needed.
  2. Take your doilies and fold each one in half. Then take two doilies (folds on opposite sides) and either sew the seams together or staple it if you don’t know how to sew.
  3. Take the fabric circles and fold them in half so you can hot glue gun them in the center of each doily (this will cover the staples). You can cover each side with a fabric circle or you can alternate leaving a few spaces white.
  4. Take string and tie it through one of the holes on the dolly.
  5. Finally hang them from the ceiling at desired heights.

Nature Walk in a Jar– An earthy piece to liven up any desk or dresser
What you need

• Glass Bottle
  • Hay/ Tree bark
  • Egg shells
  • Spring colored ribbon

Throw it all together in any way you wish!

Umbrella Wreath– Perfect way to welcome guests in a cute springy fashion  
What you need

• Cute Umbrella (Dollarama $2)
  • Sprigs of faux flowers, pussy willow, and Easter eggs on a stick
  • 2 feet of ribbon
  • Plastic bag

Steps

1. Unfasten the umbrella and lay it down how you want it to lay against the door. Then take top three “sections” (material between metal supports) and stuff a plastic bag in them just to puff them out a bit.
  2. Add your sprigs to each of the openings and bend them around until you get the look you want
  3. Slip ribbon underneath and tie a bow approximately half way down the umbrella

Dixie Cup Garland – A great way to brighten up your dorm at night with soft spring pastels
What you need

• Dixie cup
  • Scrap paper
  • Pencil
  • Lights
  • Scissors
  • Double sided tape
  • Exacto knife

Steps

1. Cut apart a Dixie cup and smooth it out as flat as possible. Trace smoothed out cup carefully onto a piece of paper to make your Dixie cup shade template. Don’t get upset if the first template you trace doesn’t fit over your cup perfectly.  Make as many as you will need to cover the Dixie cups for each light.
  2. Using double sided tape, adhere one end of a shade cover to a Dixie cup. Add another piece of double sided tape to the other end of the cut out and carefully wrap the entire piece around the cup.  Do so to cover each one of your Dixie cups.
  3. Using a pencil, make and X on the bottoms of the Dixie cups. Then carefully using and exacto knife you’ll need to cut an X pattern into the cup. This is where the bulbs will poke through and the X needs to be small enough that the cups won’t slip out and fall off. Repeat step until all Dixie cups have slit X’s into bottoms.
  4. Carefully begin popping in each bulb to the bottom of the cups stringing along until your garland is covered.
  5. Plug in your lights and there you have it!

Spring Craft– Perfect for hanging on the walls or posting up on a desk to let your guests know you’re in the spring spirit
What you need

• Wooden Letters (available at any craft store)
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Scissors
  • White paint for the edges of the letters
  • Spray adhesive to apply paper

Steps

1. Slightly sand the edges of the letters with 180 grit or finer sand paper. {the higher the number the finer the grit}
  1. Paint the edges of the letter (2 coats)
  1. Trace the letter onto the back of the scrapbook paper and cut out
  1. Spray the back side of the paper with adhesive and carefully adhere to the wood letters