To Date or to Hook Up–That is the Question

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.
Our generation lives in a hook-up culture, where hooking up with different people every weekend is more common than a simple date. For people just getting out of serious relationships in high school and those who just want to explore their options, hooking up is great. But when does just hooking up get old? Isn’t the point of talking to different people to find someone you can see yourself hanging out with on the regular? In the hookup culture it’s okay to be “talking” to a few guys at once, have a constant bang-buddy with no titles, while still having the freedom to hook up with other people. 

Inevitably, there comes a point when feelings do develop, and because you are just simply “hooking up” you can’t get mad if they talk to other people because no titles come with it. Also everyone has a different definition of “hooking up.” For some people, hooking up is just making out. For others, it is everything but sex. To some, it means going all the way. This new culture of hook ups can often lead to feelings getting hurt, people feeling pressured to have sex with randoms because it’s the new norm, and settling for being bang-buddies with your guy when you really want him to be your boyfriend. Luckily though, not everyone believes in the hook-up culture. There are still people our age who actually want to be in relationships and don’t believe in one night stands or hooking up with someone new each week. If you don’t want to be tied down and you like hooking up, keep doing it! But, if that’s not you, then don’t settle for anything less than you want and believe you deserve. You have to be straight forward and make sure you and your boy toy are on the same page.