9 Things You Learned From Your Freshman Year Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

The first part of freshman year is the hardest. Living with a complete stranger can be a daunting thought and it’s okay to be scared. For those of us that are fortunate enough to have found both a roommate and a friend, here are a few lessons we learned:

1.      Everyone argues – when two people are asked to cohabitate, conflict is natural. Remember that your roommate is a human being and work on figuring it out.

2.      Understand differences – You come from different places.

3.      Accept diversity – Don’t try and change yourself to be more like your roommate. Don’t try and change your roommate to be more like you.

4.      Always be generous – Work together to make college easier. It’s new for both of you.

5.      Never assume – everyone is fighting a battle. You can’t guess what your roommate is going through. Take time to talk.

6.      Be a good support system – Sometimes you just need to vent about econ class. Remember to listen when she needs to.

7.      Appreciate what you have – Not everyone grew up the same way.

8.      Help each other grow – Hear each other’s plans, ideas, and dreams.

9.      A dorm can be a home – Make your two semesters together count. Put up pictures on the walls. Decorate your home. Love each other. You’re a family. 

Shruti Kansara is a sophomore at Bryant University majoring in international business with a double concentration in applied analytics and computer information systems and a double minor in French and international affairs. In her spare time, she volunteers with Dorcas International Institute of Rhode Island and serves as a local titleholder for the Miss Rhode Island America organization.