7 Things You Come to Love About New England

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

New England is a special place! It’s also home to a huge number of colleges and universities that draw students from all over the planet. When they move here, they discover all the odd traits that make New England unique. It might seem weird at first, but New England finds its way into your heart. 

1. The People 

Everyone has resting bitch face. Seriously, whether they’re Maine-iacs or Massholes, New Englanders wouldn’t dream of smiling at someone on the street or immediately asking a new friend to hang out. This can seriously freak out non-New Englanders, however, who are used to a friendlier atmosphere. The good news is that once New Englanders finally do open up, you’ve probably made a fiercely loyal forever-friend; they don’t waste their time on casual acquaintances! 

2. The Obsession with Dunkin’ Donuts 

Starbucks should just go home. The only reason Bryant kids get out of bed on a Saturday is to get their Dunkin’ fix. And don’t try to argue about the best kind of donut. Anyone will tell you its Boston Kreme. We all love donuts, but non-New Englanders will never understand how New Englanders can drink an iced coffee during a snow storm, but we guess that’s what hot cups are for? 

3. The Sports 

In New England, football is a religion and Tom Brady is a God. And if you’re lucky enough to be in New England when the Patriots win the Super bowl, you’ll experience a party like no other. New Englanders are fiercely loyal to their favorite sport, so don’t try telling them about how much you love the Packers. 

4. The Drivers

New England is the only place where it’s acceptable to yell at other drivers (or pedestrians, or anyone really) regardless of whether or not they can hear you. And merge lanes are for out-of-towners. They’re called Mass-holes for a reason!

5. The Newport Creamery 

If you haven’t had an Awful Awful, you haven’t lived. The Newport Creamery’s signature drink is the perfect end to a summer day. You can also get a wide range of other ice cream treats to satisfy your sugar cravings! 

6. The Weather 

There’s snow, and then there’s New England snow. Here, 6 inches of snow means business as usual. While winter might be cold and dreary, New Englanders know how to get through it. Come the first day of spring, no matter the temperature, you’ll see people in shorts. Non-New Englanders also learn to appreciate how wonderful it is to see grass again after 2 months of snow. 

7. The Slang 

Its wicked cool, right? At first it sounds like everyone is speaking another language. But, no matter where you’re from, if you spend enough time in New England you’ll start to sound like them. All of a sudden you’ll catch yourself talking about drinking out of a bubbler, or eating a grinder! 

photo credit: 

Abby can be found reading magazines, dreaming up content ideas, browsing(stalking) on Instagram, and pursuing her love of travel. She is also a certified nerd. Find her on Instagram @abby.e.hart because she is not funny enough for Twitter.