10 Ways To Bring the Holidays to Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

‘Tis the season to be jolly, collegiettes! Make your dorm into a winter wonderland with these 10 easy holiday décor ideas!

1. Lights The best way to create a warm and cozy atmosphere on a winter day is with lights! It is better to use the yellow-tinted lights than the blue tinted ones because those can cause headaches and irritation to the eyes. There are many options for how lights can be strung. They can go across the ceiling, like in the picture above, or go around the edge of the walls.
  2. Christmas Tree For those of you who celebrate Christmas, you don’t have to leave the tree at home! You can enjoy a Christmas tree in your dorm as well. Get a mini Christmas tree and have a very merry time decorating your tree with your roommate while blasting Maria Carey’s Christmas album. This is another option for a Christmas tree! If you are feeling creative with a string of lights, this is the way to go. This tree option is best for a double or triple because it is mounted on the wall and takes up less space than an actual tree.
  3. Stockings Stockings are a must for the holidays with your friends! You can create a fireplace scene on the back of your door or hang the stockings from the end of your desk or bed frame. If you are feeling really fancy, customize the stockings with your name or monogram.
  4. Ornaments Make or buy ornaments to hang by your window or in front of your door. The best part about this decoration is that you can choose different colors of ornaments to match the color theme of your dorm!
  5. Wall art Nothing is better than a little holiday DIY project! Create the best, inexpensive, holiday wall art by taking a trip to a local craft store for glitter and canvas. First trace out your design on the canvas, then fill in the design with glue. Lastly, pour the glitter on top and let it dry. When you shake off the glitter, your design will appear.
  6. Snowflakes This classic decoration never gets old. Bring the snow to your room without the cold by making snowflakes. Hang them from your ceiling to truly make it feel like your dorm has transformed into a winter wonderland.
  7. Throw blanket A fuzzy throw blanket can make any room warm and welcoming. A white throw blanket looks like snow and can “winter” up any dorm!
  8. Snowman Fridge This cute idea will turn your fridge into a decorative piece of art! Find refrigerator stickers online to make an average fridge as magical as Frosty the Snowman!
  9. Wreaths Wreaths are not only decorative, but are a blast to make as well! This wreath is simple to make. All you need is colored ribbon and a steel ring, which can be found at a local craft store. You then tie the ribbon around the ring and tie bows. This can be hung festively on your dorm door.
  10. Garland Of course we wouldn’t forget to mention this popular holiday decoration! Put a twist on the traditional garland and create this easy to make contemporary garland. Get metallic paper of your choice and cut them into triangles and tape the triangles to string to form little Christmas trees. This eye catching garland will make your dorm stand apart from your neighbors!