So what’s the Deal With….Daylight Savings?

Posted -

Since Daylight Savings Time Ends is this Sunday….I just would like to inform about such a concept.

Twice a year, people all over America move their clocks one hour forward and a few months later, move their clocks one hour back. But why? How does this change time and why do we use this idea of daylight savings time?

Once joked about by Benjamin Franklin, it wasn’t until the early 1900’s when places in the United States began using Daylight Savings Time. In ancient times, places used a form of daylight savings to adjust their clocks to match that of the sun’s rising and setting.

In 1918, President Woodrow Wilson put Daylight Savings in to affect, but it only lasted for a few months. It wasn’t until President Franklin D. Roosevelt reinstated or began Daylight Savings again in 1942 that it stuck around. This was done to help support the efforts for World War 2. Between the years of 1945 until 1966, there was no real rules to Daylight Savings in the United States, making things very confusing for buses, trains, and TV stations.

In 1966, the United States decided that they needed to make a uniform Daylight Savings Time. At this time, it was decided that the times of Daylight Savings Time would occur in April and in October.

Today, Daylight Savings Time is used in over 70 different countries. The dates and times vary around the world, but most places run Daylight Savings Time from March to October.

In the end, Daylight Savings Time still exists for the same reason as ancient times – it is a way to change our clocks to match the natural clock – the sun!

About The Author

I like to read, hangout with friends, and just take life into account to make it worthwhile no matter how much how crazy it seems.

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login