Reasons Why You Should Celebrate Hufflepuffs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

It’s Hufflepuff Pride Day on the Potterverse

For those not in the know, this means that today starts the week in which each house from J.K. Rowling’s famous Harry Potter Series gets a day to be celebrated.

Fans have been able to know which house they belong to since the quiz became available in pottermore. Since then, fans have become even more invested in showing their House Pride.

This week starts off with Hufflepuff Pride Day and as a Hufflepuff myself I figured I’d point out the many reasons why this House is much more than the ‘Leftover House’ the ‘Lazy House’ and the ‘Stoner House’

In no particular order, here’s a number of reasons why Hufflepuffs are simply the best.

We’re the chillest house.

While Gryffindors and Slytherins go mad with house rivalries and Ravenclaws stress out over a never ending quest of knowledge, Hufflepuffs tends to not sweat the small stuff. Nothing really bothers us and on the whole, we tend to take things as they come.

We’re also the most accepting.

“Said Hufflepuff I’ll take the lot, and teach them all the same” Hufflepuff’s founder didn’t get caught up on how smart, or cunning, or willing to face down a Dragon you were. She understood what most teachers still fail to grasp, that every person has potential and intelligence and how far you’ll go can’t be quantified by any test.

Hufflepuffs are the house most likely to keep an open mind about both things and people and accept you as you are. Troublesome past? Cursed forehead wound? Like plants a lot? We’ll welcome you “all the same”

Nymphadora Tonks came from our house

Your welcome.

We’re the Party House

Hufflepuff dorms are right by the kitchen, which is ideal for throwing dorm parties. As stated before, we welcome everyone which means we’ll party with all the houses.

But we also know when to get to work.

Seeing as we’re the house depicted as “hard working” and “unafraid of toil” I’m not sure how the “lazy house even started”

Point is, we get the job done.

Our Mascot is an actual Badass.

Here are some things about badgers. They fight anything. They’re part of the mustelid family, the same family that gives us Wolverine ( y’know, the animal who would face down pack animals and bears so fiercely it got it’s own x-men named after it? Yeah)

But also adorable.

Look at it, can it kill a pride of lions absolutely. Will it just curl up and soak up sun? Of course it will. Will you give in to for its cuteness? Of course you will.

( badgers are actually usually docile and only fight fiercely when cornered or facing aggression from another animal. Which…fits Hufflepuffs pretty well. It was a Hufflepuff that gave the rallying cry to stay and fight the Death Eaters after all. This journalist beseeches you to not be aggressive to badgers and keep from harassing all wildlife.)

So are our wizards

We Will Always Have Your Back.

Hufflepuff’s main traits are their fairness but also their steadfast loyalty. You make friends with a badger, and they will have your back come what may. It’s not up for debate nor is it a speculation. It’s a given fact.

With us it’s the thought that counts.

Scared to take chances? No worries you’re understood. Didn’t get top grades but still tried your best? We commend you! Not really one for ambition and power? It’s all good.

While the other three houses place the worth of a person in brave acts, how much you learn, and how much power you amass, all we really want in Hufflepuff is for you to be yourself. Wherever that takes you, we’ll be happy for you.

Our founder was a badass grandma.

Helga Hufflepuff was on of the founders of Hogwarts and accomplished enough to have her own Chocolate Frog Card. She took in wizards of all kinds at a time when relationships between the magical and non-magical people were not at their best ( can we say progressive). She also set up the house elfs who work at the castle so that they would have a place to work at where they would not be mistreated. Aside from having all of the qualities associated with Hufflepuff ( fair play, hard work, and steadfast loyalty) She’s described by the Harry Potter wikia to have “She brought people from different backgrounds together to help in the building of the school and was known for her charming ways”

She also had a knack for cooking charms ( and totally went around baking cookies for the kids in her class)

It’s all of these reasons and more that make the case you should absolutely be proud to be a Hufflepuff.

Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.