Madame CJ Walker and Why She’s Remembered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

According to Fortune, the number of businesses owned by African American women grew 322% since 1997, making black females the fastest growing group of entrepreneurs in the U.S. Let’s go back into history to the women who broke done barriers and help opened up a new industry for African American women.  Madam C.J. Walker is the first African-American female to become a millionaire. Walker was born Sarah Breedlove on a Plantation in Louisiana. In 1905, walker created her own hair product after suffering from a scalp disorder that resulted in her hair loss.

Walker traveled door to door and different towns promoting her products-such as her pomade, brushes, and hot combs. Her profits continue to grow in 1908 and she decided to open a factory and a beauty school in Pittsburgh. In 1910, when Walker transferred her business to Indianapolis she was making several million dollars. In Indianapolis, the company manufactured cosmetics and also trained sales beauticians called “walker agents”. They became well known in the black communities around the United States Additionally, walker organized club and convention for her representatives to display philanthropic and educational efforts among African Americans. According to A’Lelia Bundles, Walker’s Great-Great Granddaughter it wasn’t just about the hair products. It was also about empowering women and helping women to get economically independent. Walker helped women to make money so that they could contribute to their churches, pay their children tuition, and buy homes. “The more lasting legacy is that she empower people and that she used her money to make a difference in her community,” said Bundles.

Thanks to Madam C.J. Walker for paving the way for African American women entrepreneurs today. Because of her contributions, we have African women who own their companies such as Mahisha Dellinger who is the founder of Curls, a hair care line for women with curls. Also, Lisa Price who is the founder of Carol’s Daughter, a beauty line for hair and fragrance and many more African American women entrepreneurs.

Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.