Creative Lunch Ideas to Beat Those Library Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

We’ve all been there. After a few hours in the library the realisation hits that you are without food and in need of an excuse to stop studying. Unless you’re lucky most of the desirable choices in the café have been taken and you’re left with a pretty suspect roll at the back of the fridge. Having the right food to get you through a library session is important for your studies and morale. Just a few steps of prep can ensure you’re well equipped to have a good break when you need one. I’ve put together some recipes which are quick and painless to make the night before or in the morning…

Satay Sweet Potato and Broccoli Bowl

This recipe is great for using up any leftovers lurking in the fridge and packs in lots of flavour to get you through a long day (or night) at the library. Do feel free to add any more veg or meat.

Ingredients:

For the bowl –

½ cup of precooked rice

1 diced small sweet potato

½ cup diced broccoli

1 tbsp olive oil

salt and pepper to season

For the dressing –

2tbsp peanut butter

1tbsp soy sauce

1tbsp honey

3tbsp hot water

½ tsp of chilli flakes optional

Method:

1. To save time I like to blitz my sweet potato and broccoli in the microwave for 4 minutes each, stirring half way through. If you prefer to boil or steam this works just as well. Mix together the rice, sweet potato and broccoli in a bowl.
  2. Add the olive oil and the salt and pepper to taste. Stir well until there is an even coating of oil.
  3. For the dressing, mix together the peanut butter, soy sauce and honey until there is a smooth paste. Add the hot water to thin out the dressing until you reach your desired consistency.
  4. Pour the dressing over the ingredients and add the chilli flakes for extra heat if you’d like to.

Peanut Butter and Banana Quesadillas

Sometimes during a study session, you need a sweet treat. These quesadillas are delicious, filling and a whole lot healthier than what’s in the vending machines.

Ingredients:

1 wholewheat tortilla

1 large banana

2 tbsp natural peanut butter

½ tsp cinnamon

sprinkle of chocolate chips optional

Method:

1. Spread the peanut butter over one side of the tortilla.
  2. Slice the banana thinly and arrange the slices over one half the tortilla.
  3. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the banana slices if you are using them.
  4. Fold the tortilla in half.
  5. Cook the quesadilla in a large pan over a medium-low heat until golden brown and crispy on both sides.

Chicken Taco Pockets

Sometimes a lunch you can pick at and stretch out works best for a long day at the library. These taco pockets work so well because you can take as much filling and pitta breads with you as you want. If you want to sub the chicken for a meat-free alternative, chickpeas work well.

Ingredients:

1 cooked chicken fillet

3 tbsp salsa

2 tbsp sour cream

½ cup shredded lettuce

½ cubed red pepper

1 tomato

¼ cup sweetcorn

3 tbsp fresh coriander leaves

¼ cup of feta cheese cubes

2 pitta breads

1 tbsp jalpenos optional

Method:

1. Thinly slice the chicken fillet and mix with salsa in a medium bowl.
  2. In another bowl mix jalapenos with sour cream and add the lettuce, sweetcorn, pepper, tomato and coriander leaves. Mix the ingredients until well coated.
  3. Combine the two bowls together and mix well.
  4. Top with cubed feta and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  5. You can either spoon the mix into the pita breads before you leave or save it as procrastination at the library.

Make sure you’ve got a lunchbox or durable Tupperware – a leaky box isn’t worth a lost essay!

Her Campus magazine