10 Things my First Semester of College Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

By: Abigail Robertson

I began my first semester of college in the fall of 2017. As it is for many people, I learned quite a bit. It’s completely normal to have to adjust to college life, but I had to adjust to things that no one warned me about. So, I’m sharing this list with you to say “Hey, you’re not the only one.”

1. You will be overwhelmed. There’s something happening almost every day. It can be a really great way to get involved and meet new people, but it can also create a lot of pressure.

2. They’re just as scared of you as you are of them. It’s cheesy, but it’s totally true. Anything you’re feeling about college life I promise you someone (everyone) is feeling it too.

3. You’ll probably do things high school you would have gaped at. For me it wasn’t anything risqué (you do you though, I’m not judging), but I rushed, which was never something I had really wanted. It’s fun to try things you never thought you’d do, but if they’re aren’t for you, that’s COMPLETELY okay!

4. You’ll be busy… in a weird way. I had high school down pact when I graduated. I had a part-time job, I had a social life, I had good grades, and I was in Beta Club. It wasn’t that my high school wasn’t busy academically, that was actually the main focus of my University Model school. In college though, there’s     free time. The procrastination is real.

5. You aren’t going to dress cute everyday. Trust me, I was (kind of) disappointed by this one too. I started the semester thinking that I’d be dressed fashionably and wearing makeup everyday, or at least, most days, but I was wrong. I love that I can throw on some leggings and a hoodie. Comfy cozy is my favorite way to learn.

6. You’re going to look in your bank account and wonder who on earth stole all your money?! College students have always been known for their lavish furnishings of folding chairs and decadent bowls of ramen, but somehow you will find that your money just seems to fall right out of your wallet. Trust me, it’s harder than you think to hold on to those dollars.

7. You can choose who you hang out with. Now, I know that I a lot of y’all already got to do this in high school, but I attended a small private school, so I didn’t. This has made me so much happier. I now get to be around happy and positive people.

8. You will have breakdowns. You’re not the only one who’s up at 3 a.m. crying about that one deadline. College is hard, but you’re not alone.

9. Your professors will treat you like an adult. Well, most will. I’ve found that as long as you treat your professors with respect, they’ll do the same for you.

You’ll need to learn to take care of yourself. College is hard. Don’t make it any harder than it needs to be! Relax. Get coffee with a friend. Read a book. Self- care is one of the most important things you have to learn in college. You’re worth it.

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!