person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Zachary Anziska ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Year: 2016

Major(s)/Minor(s): Near Eastern and Judaic Studies/Social Justice and Social Policy

Relationship Status: Single

On Campus Involvement

We hear you are a photographer for The Justice. When did you become interested in photography?

I was into the glitz and glamour of fancy cameras and wanted to have one like the grown ups. So I got my first one…a toy camera that squirts water

What are your favorite events to photograph?

I’m interested in people and self-expression, and remember shooting at my first soccer game trying to capture the players’ intensity. I enjoy capturing people in their natural state, doing everyday things that express raw emotions and moods. Also, any setting where I can capture different parts of the day (sunrise/sunset) together with the presence of nature and scenery is ideal.

What is J Street and what are some of your responsibilities as president of the organization?

It’s an organization that is dedicated to resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict through a two-state solution and active American engagement. As a co-president, I get to empower other student leaders and members of the Brandeis community who are passionate about the issue, engage in educational events and take action around the conflict on our campus community.

Style

You always look well-dressed. Where do you draw your outfit/fashion inspiration from?

Attention to the details drives me to focus on colors and patterns, and draw on trends from stores like Bonobos and Brooklyn Industries.

What is one piece of clothing every man should own?

Lately, I’ve become a fan of a blazer with patches, which can be dressed up, or worn more casually.

Do you read men’s fashion/style blogs? If so, which ones?

Yes, Put This On and Style Forum.

Random

What are your plans for the summer?

I’m interning at Repair the World in NYC, a Jewish social justice organization that aims to mobilize young adults who want to help improve lives and neighborhoods right now. Yes, I know what you’re thinking: could there not be a better internship for this kid?

Do you cook? If so what is your signature recipe?

I stick to Sunday morning breakfasts and I’m working on my omelette skills, always making sure to put lots of Sriracha or Cholula hot sauce on anything i make.

Do you have any study tips/words of advice for readers currently studying for finals?

Procrastinate as much as possible because you will always have tomorrow…unless you don’t

What is one thing most readers don’t know about you and would be surprised to learn?

I play the drums and took lessons for 5½ years– I loved jamming to The White Stripes and The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Tell us about your most embarrassing moment:

It wasn’t the first and definitely won’t be the last, but I walked over to someone in Sherman, thinking it was my friend…well it ended up being a professor.

Romance

What are some qualities you look for in a significant other?

Someone who enjoys fighting the patriarchy, shares my love for overloading on a good hot sauce and transform spaces into masterpieces

What is your biggest turn off?

Bad breath

What is your ideal date?

Spend the day in lower Manhattan, trying on Warby Parker glasses to see which ones look most obnoxiously hipster, followed by a good cup of espresso in a cozy nook of a SoHo coffee shop.  

Favorites

Food: Blackened pepper burgers

Cereal: I skip the cereal and go for the Greek yogurt – favorite is pomegranate Chobani

Candy: Jolly Ranchers  

Ice cream flavor: Peanut Butter

TV Show: Downton Abbey

Movie: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Holiday: Festival of the Arts

Season: Autumn

Country: South Africa

Band/Musician: Most recently Sam Smith (mostly for the hair) and Gary Clark Jr.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.