Unique and Fun Gift Ideas for Any Occasion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Have you ever watched Parks and Recreation? If so, I’m going to tell you one of the many reasons as to why my best friend has me under Leslie Knope in her contacts. For starters, gift giving is not some mundane chore or another familial obligation; it’s a full-blown Olympic sport. I want to shower my friends with so much love and gratitude that they have to hide their faces out of embarrassment; I want to write a thank you card that is so sweet that they tear up and make sure to showcase it on their wall for years to come.

So, one of the major downsides to being a broke college student is that I really have to limit the amount of money I spend on people. There’s just no room to buy one of my closest friends a canvas print by his favorite graffiti artist, or a really unique pendant in a nearby shop.

But that doesn’t mean I can’t still win at this gift giving game!

Below, I have five different ideas for gifts you could give to anyone, regardless of gender. They get more expensive as the list goes on, but they’re still all under $20. And whether you buy just one of these items or several for someone special, I honestly think that they would appreciate it. (Especially if you include a sweet little card!)

Price: Free

A Favorite Book

Do you have an amazing book lying around that you think your friend would enjoy? Sure, you could simply hand it to them, but why stop there? You can go above and beyond by marking up the margins here and there, underlining your favorite quotes, jotting down inside jokes that the text seemingly references, some intense reflections. Of course, this isn’t for everyone, but I know that I would love this sort of gift. Not only would you be giving a gift; you’d be giving someone an experience.

Bonus points: Write a sweet little card in the form of a bookmark. Maybe even laminate it or Mod-Podge it if you’re an overachiever (like I totally am).

Price: $3 each

Literary Matchboxes

Sure, this may be the age of lighters, but put that aside for a moment. Honestly, these really are super stylish, small, thoughtful novelties. It doesn’t really matter if your friend or family member will put them to everyday use; it can really spice up their living area or be a handy backup that they forget until the moment they need it.

Bonus points: There is an amazing selection of classic novels to choose from. Let your friend revel in one of his/her passions!

Price: $6 and up

Vintage Stamps

Just like the last two, this is such an unexpected gift, especially with our postage system withering away. You two can joke around about how you’re keeping the USPS in business, but there’s a lot more to it than that. They don’t have to put these to actual use; they can use it for academic projects, scrapbooking, room décor, and so much more. This is especially the case since there is literally something for everyone.

Do you have a friend who loves theatre? There’s a stamp set for that.

Have a friend who loves politics? They have you covered.

Wildlife? Sustainable farming? Love itself? Yep, yep and yep.

Price: $15

Personalized Beer Opener

I bought this for my boyfriend out-of-the-blue, and it makes me smile to think that he has a sweet little message to read before he gets hammered. (Totally joking.) But seriously, I think this is the perfect mix of functionality and sentiment. Way better than a lame keychain, am I right?

Bonus points: If you have money to spare, maybe present this gift in another gift (a classy leather wallet). Or, give them food along with it. You know, if you’re under 21.

Price: $18

Recycled Record Coasters

No one likes using coasters, but that’s probably because they’re using the wrong ones. I mean, just LOOK at these. What’s not to love? Right away, your friend’s guests have something to start a conversation about, and he/she will never forget you were the one to give it to them.

Bonus points: Sustainability! J

Now, go forth and take after Leslie Knope!!