Tova Ferstenberg ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Tova Ferstenberg is super woman: she does everything and is everywhere. From Pre-Law Society meetings to Kappa Beta Gamma parties, Tova is easy going and fun despite her busy schedule. Wonder how she manages to do it all? Find out!

HC: What clubs and activities are you involved with on campus and what positions do you hold if any? 

Tova Ferstenberg: I am currently Vice President, academic chair, and one of the founding sisters of Kappa Beta Gamma. I’m also Vice President of Pre-Law Society, I’m a Community Advisor for first year students in North Quad, I work in Admissions as a Chatter, and I work for Aramark as a caterer in my spare time.

HC: What can you tell readers about the Pre-Law Society?
TF: The Pre-Law Society is a great resource to undergraduate students. We hold events each month offering insight into multiple sections of the LSAT, the application process to law school, and we attempt to facilitate students’ transitions into the legal field. We’ve also brought in alums from Harvard Law School, Boston College Law School, and other prestigious schools in the area to meet with pre-law students. Also, for those considering law, we offer practice LSATs so they can see how they would score and can therefore focus their time and energy on areas where they need improvement.

HC: So we heard that you were once a contestant on Deal or No Deal. How was that? Were you nervous? What was it like meeting Howie Mandel?
TF: That was definitely the most exciting moment of my life. I essentially feel like my life peaked at 19! Last year, my episode of Deal or No Deal aired on NBC. For the audition, I knew I had to stand out since the contestants on this show are pretty eccentric, to say the least! Also, there were over 6,000 people at the car dealership where the audition was held. So I went clad in my prom dress with some ridiculous story about how my cousin was getting married in North Jersey and the only way she would forgive me for missing pictures would be if I got on the show. They made an announcement to the thousands of people waiting in line that the first ten people to run across the street and get oil changes would receive personal interviews with the Executive Producer. So my mother (who’s my height but FAR more muscular than I am) started shoving her way through the crowd. Long story short, I managed to have an interview with the Executive Producer and attended a follow-up interview in New York.

I was incredibly nervous when I was holding the briefcase on television. Keep in mind, there was no guarantee that I would play. They spun a wheel with numbers 1-22, so I essentially had a 1/22 chance of being featured as a contestant. Nonetheless, when the wheel landed on my number, the spotlights all turned towards me and I was instructed to take center stage.

There are a few moments that stand out in my mind. I distinctly remember Howie Mandel asking, “Wait, your name is Tova Ferstenberg and you go to Brandeis University? Chag Sameach” (which means “Happy holidays” in Hebrew since we were recording around Rosh Hashanah). Additionally, commercial breaks felt surreal! I had 5 people run towards me simultaneously: the make-up artist, a medic, someone with a bottle of water, a hair-stylist, someone who took lint off my clothing, and the Executive Producer. I literally felt like a celebrity during each commercial break!

I ended up taking a deal from the banker and leaving with $20,000.00. Had I continued playing, I could have received more money. I just wanted to ensure I left with something, and I was more than pleased with my performance and the incredible opportunity I was given!

HC: You’re so busy! What’s your favorite way to relax?
TF:I’m a huge fan of all types of music, but Dubstep in particular. I find it incredibly therapeutic to listen to Dubstep while working out with friends at the gym or to merely snuggle up under a blanket and watch Modern Family on Hulu with my friends (while drinking some white hot chocolate!)

HC: How do you find time to manage all of your commitments and still have a social life?
TF: Haha, that’s a good question. I guess I don’t really sleep much. If you ask my residents, they’ll probably tell you I have an average bedtime of about 4:30 AM since I tend to get most of my work done during the early hours of the morning due to all my meetings and classes throughout the day. I’m also a HUGE fan of Post-it notes. My desk is usually adorned with Post-its in all different shades with reminders of what I have to do that day.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.