Samantha Gordon ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

You’ve probably seen Samantha Gordon running around SCC doing about 100 things at once. What we love most about Sam is her charisma and that she puts 110 percent of herself into everything she does. A member of Delta Phi Epsilon and a theatre guru, Sam is a busy girl about campus. We got to sit down with her and ask her a little more about herself.

Q: What are your majors and minors and how did you come about picking these?

A: I’m a Theater and Sociology double major. I picked Theater because it comes so naturally and I truly love it. Why not major in something I love? On that same note, I love people and studying people, in a non-creepy way of course. Sociology fits that love and allows me to major in something I could use if I don’t pursue a career in theater.

Q: We know that you have a passion for theatre of all things. Where does this passion stem from?

A: This passion began when I was three years old and began dance classes. I loved to perform. I also love to talk. My mom always said I came out screaming and never stopped. I danced for around 13 years and then found theater camp. It was there that I began performing in musicals and plays. I loved being on the stage. Then in high school I joined drama club, eventually becoming vice president, and auditioned for everything and everything. We competed in competitions all across Southern California twice a year. These competitions really helped shape my true passion for the arts. The feeling I get when watching a play is just overwhelming and powerful. It’s really a love thing.

Q: Congrats on CORE! Tell us about how excited you are and why?

A: I am beyond excited!! I might have cried a little when I found out, I’m not ashamed. I am just so thrilled to get the chance to create and brainstorm with four other people and plan orientation. I have always loved orientation and I have the typical cheesy story to tell, if you ever want to know I’m always willing to tell. I honestly can’t wait to begin planning all the awesome events!

Q: What are some ideas that you have that is going to make Orientation awesome?

A: Well I think taking old ideas and revamping them into something incredible would be a great starting off point. I also want to plan some original events and just experiment with lots of different concepts and ideas for events. I honestly have no idea what’s to come, but that’s what’s exciting about this job. Creativity and imagination will fuel us in creating the best orientation ever.

Q: Tell us about your involvement with Crowd Control and what you enjoy most about it.

A: Well this semester I auditioned for Crowd Control on a whim, never having done improv before, and found a new love for this art form. Crowd Control focuses what’s called long-form comedy improv and, let me say, it’s as fun as it looks. We rehearse for a few hours a week and I absolutely love it. My troupe may not know this, as I may not be the most affectionate towards them, but I love each and every one of them. We perform at coffeehouses around campus and we also have a semester show. I have to say, my Brandeis experience would not be the same without them.

Q: What do you enjoy most about Brandeis?

A: This is a tough question to answer because Brandeis is one of the only places to exceed my expectations. I never thought I would love a place as much as Brandeis. Some things I enjoy most about Brandeis are my friends, Einstein’s honey whole wheat with veggie bagel, the UTC , Crowd Control, all of my classes this semester, the free shuttles into Boston, and the library. The thing is, I enjoy most things about Brandeis and it’d be a much shorter list to talk about the things I don’t like about Brandeis. Brandeis has such a great community and will open so many doors for me in my future. Brandeis is truly great.