An Ode to Fall: 10 Things You Can Do With Pumpkins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Ah, Fall, the most “basic” time of the year. You will find Instagram pictures of trees and colorful wonders of nature and do photo shoots with your friends throwing leaves into the air. You will go apple picking, and pick out your first pair of pants since last May. And of course, start digging out your fall and winter boots for the first time since the polar vortex. There are so many things to love about fall, especially the pumpkin spice lattes. Contrary to popular belief, there are other aspects of fall that revolve around a pumpkin. It is a symbol of fall, change, and the end of a complete new year, hence the round pumpkin. Here are ten things you can do with pumpkins to celebrate the end of this wonderful season.

1. Pumpkin spice latte. No matter where you get your coffee from you will find a pumpkin spice latte and enjoy the sweet smells and tastes of fall.

2. Roasted pumpkin seeds, also known as Pepitas. I was impressed when Lower Usdan started doing something I do with my family every Halloween. Pumpkin seeds are extremely underrated and delicious. Roast them with oil and salt at 350 degrees for about 5-10 minutes until crispy. You won’t be sorry.

3. Pumpkin carving. It is not too late to carve your perfect jack-o-lantern. You can do so much with your carving and allow your creativity to shine. Pumpkins are the perfect blank canvas to show what you can do.

4. Pumpkin pie. This is my favorite. My grandmother’s recipe is delicious. Pumpkin pie is easy to make and even more fun to eat around the Thanksgiving table. Make some and share it with your friends!

5. Pumpkin cream cheese from Einsteins. Addicting, salivating, and inspirational to all other cream cheeses. Spread it on a cinnamon raisin bagel and you have yourself the perfect fall treat.

6. Pumpkin spiced candles. I have one in my room right now and let me tell you there is nothing like walking in and feeling a sense of warmth and comfort.

7. Pumpkin muffins and bread. More underrated treats. These simple but delicious deserts are perfect to make or eat when you want to feel warm and fuzzy.

8. Go to a pumpkin patch! As a child, I loved going to the pumpkin patch to pick out the perfect pumpkin for my front yard to (unsuccessfully) scare trick or treaters. Now you can go with friends and frolic amongst the beautiful orange beasts.

9. Pumpkin Chunking. Have you ever heard of pumpkin chunking? I didn’t until I saw a Modern Family episode where Cam makes the family participate in a pumpkin chunking contest. The goal is to make a mechanical device that is designed to throw a pumpkin as far as possible. Think catapults and air cannons. The Brandeis-friendly version? Try it with mini pumpkins across Chapel’s Field!

10. Watch “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!”. It’s a Halloween classic. Watch as Charlie Brown and the gang celebrates Halloween and fears the “Great Pumpkin.” It is a wonderful film sure to bring back childhood memories.

Happy Halloween!

If there is anything you need to know about Anna Stern it is that she loves Tina Fey. She also loves her summer camp, The Beatles, her friends, Broadway, sushi, pizza, Giada de Laurentiis, dressing like a 50's girl, the beach, Beyonce, exaggerating, and saying things that she loves.
I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.