Making Healthy Choices on the Brandeis Meal Plan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Not gaining the dreaded Freshman 15 in college IS possible. Whether you are used to eating home-cooked meals or preparing food for yourself, for many students, learning how to eat healthy while adjusting to a new meal plan can be rather tricky. It is important that you make smart decisions about what you eat. Here are some helpful tips to avoid putting on unwanted pounds in college while maintaining overall health and wellness.

Breakfast is still the most important meal of the day!
Did you know that you could gain weight by not eating enough food? Your mother and your doctor were right when they told you to eat your breakfast—as it is the most important meal of the day! When you eat breakfast, you literally “break the fast” of the previous 8-12 hours. Eating a healthy breakfast gets your metabolism going. It gives you the energy to stay awake during class or at your work-study job!

When choosing a breakfast, think about three macro-nutrients: carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats, as well as calories. Start with some low-fat protein, such as yogurt, egg whites, cottage cheese, or tofu. Then, for your carbs, have a small bowl of oatmeal or low-sugar cereal, ora handful of fruit. Lastly, add a dash of healthy fat such as a handful of nuts. Did you know that fat can be healthy andimportant in a balanced diet? It’s true, in moderation, of course!

You CAN make good choices at Usdan, Sherman, and Einstein’s!
 The same rules apply here as they do to breakfast: balance, balance, balance!           

Usdan: Upper Usdan offers many items at the grill. Ppt for a chicken wrap and substitute the fries with a side salad. Chicken is an excellent source of low-fat protein. The tortilla, and the veggies on the salad will serve as your carbs. The salad dressing will be your healthy source of fat. Note:When using dressing on a salad, you only need a drizzle—about one spoonful—any more than that, and you’ll be overdoing it with the fat, which throws off the balance of the meal. At Lower Usdan, utilize the salad bar, and the other stations to make up a healthy meal that will nourish you for the next few hours. Rice and grilled vegetables are a great source of carbs. Salmon, veggie burgers, chicken, and tofu, which are available at the Smart Balance station, are awesome options for protein. And there are many options to get that healthy fat in—a splash of olive or canola oil, salad dressing, or some olives at the salad bar.

Sherman: The same rules apply here as they do at Usdan and at breakfast. After your meal, skip the ice cream, and opt for some fruit or yogurt for dessert. However, don’t deprive yourself. Once a week or so, indulge in some ice cream or those delectable chocolate chip cookies.

Einstein’s:
 Breakfast: When eating a bagel, add lox to get some protein, save half of the bagel for later (so you do not overload on the carbs and get sleepy in class), and add a fruit cup on the side for some healthy carbs. Also, consider trying a bagel with hummus (an unsaturated, healthy form of fat) instead of cream cheese (a saturated, less healthy form of fat). Not a bagel person? Grab a yogurt parfait with fruit and granola or a Balance Bar®. When drinking coffee: use 2% milk or skim milk instead of half-and-half and use equal instead of sugar. This will cut down on the number of calories, unhealthy fat, and unhealthy carbs you consume.

Do not forget about the importance of health on the weekends!
 Of course, we all know that the late-night drinking is not the best for us. Still, this is college and we have to be realistic. Consider a glass of wine with an ounce of cheese—this gives you your carbs, fat, and protein. Also, if you’re at a party, skip the beer and opt for a rum and diet coke.

Here is proof that eating healthy and balanced at Brandeis is feasible… it simply comes down to the choices we make each day. You can do it!

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.