Jonathan Gilman ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Major/Minor: American Studies and Psychology
Hometown: Yardley, PA (45 mins outside of Philadelphia)
Year: 2015

Activities:
HC: You run track for Brandeis, have you always enjoyed running? How did you develop your passion for the sport?
JG: I actually throw the javelin for the team. I was a pitcher for my high school baseball team. My freshman friends who were on the track team suggested I walk on to the track team since I have a good arm. I ended up making the team and had only about 3 months to prepare for the season.
What’s your mile time?
I couldn’t tell you because my role on the track team doesn’t involve competitively running so I don’t time myself when I run during practice. There’s a reason I’m on the “field” side of track and field.
You just joined the a capella group “Voices of Soul,” what got you into singing?
In 5th grade I was a member of the national children’s choir so I have been singing for a long time. I appreciate music and play the piano, clarinet, saxophone, and was even a member of my high school orchestra. My decision to join Voices of Soul was spur of the moment. It was the only a capella group that I tried out for because I like R&B music.
When can our readers see you perform?
I will be performing with Voices of Soul on November 3rd and 10th.
Who are your favorite musicians/singers?
I have so many different musical interests, however, some of my favorite singers are Frank Ocean and Bon Iver.
What songs do you like to sing in the shower?
Frank Ocean: Thinking About You
Usher: Confessions Part 2
 Will you serenade me right now? Do you know any Justin Bieber?
Wait, you like Justin Bieber?
What other clubs/organizations are you involved with on campus?
I am also on the Student Conduct Board. There haven’t been any case-violations of the student rights and responsibilities yet, but I thought it would be a good organization for me to join since I might want to go to law school.

Food:
Favorite Cake and frosting combo: Chocolate and Chocolate- As much chocolate as possible
Favorite Place in Waltham to get take-out: Baan Thai- I’m a big fan of their Pad Thai
Favorite Station in Usdan: Grill works- I like their Asian chicken wrap
Dessert: Coffee ice cream
Chocolate, Strawberry, or regular milk: Chocolate milk
Are you a fan of sushi? I enjoy it but I haven’t had it enough to be able to say whether I am a fan or not.
Since you’re from Philadelphia, I need to ask are you a fan of Philly Cheese Steaks? Where is the best place in Philly to get one? I am a huge fan of them. I’d say that it is a tie between Pat’s and Geno’s.

Hygiene:
What is your morning routine? How long does it take you to get ready?
Well it takes me about 20 minutes to get out of bed- I press the snooze button on my alarm at least 3 or 4 times. Then I shower, brush my teeth, and head to class.
What hair products do you use? Cologne?
I use Old Spice.
If you were going out on a Friday night and you only had one minute to get ready- what would be the most important thing you would do before you left?
I would brush my teeth and put on my favorite watch.

Favorites:
Movie: Goodwill Hunting
Book: Crime and Punishment
TV Show: Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Saturday Night Live … I’m more of a movie guy
Food(s): Pasta with either tomato sauce or pesto
Place to eat on campus: Einstein’s. I always get an asiago bagel with veggie cream cheese.
Place to travel: Israel and the Dominican Republic

Ladies/Dating:
Single/Taken: Single
Describe the top three qualities you look for in a girl: I don’t have a type but I like girls who are friendly, cute, down-to-earth, and have a nice smile.
Describe your ideal first date: I like to go somewhere low key so that way I get to know someone first. An ice cream shop is the ideal place to go since I love ice cream.
Favorite female body part: …..Eyes
Pet Peeve(s): People who nag and people who don’t follow through on plans.
Guilty Pleasure: I like chick flicks.
Boxers/Briefs: Boxer briefs

What do you think the most confusing thing is that girls do?
A lot of things like when they go to the bathroom in pairs
What’s your number one turn off?
Someone who is superficial. I like people who are down to earth.
What is one thing most people don’t know about you?
During my free time I enjoy composing music on garage band with my electronic keyboard.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
When I was a freshman in high school my friend was at her locker putting her things away. I wanted to surprise her so I went to give her a hug from behind, but when the girl turned around to see who it was, I realized that it wasn’t my friend but instead was a senior I had never met before. Solid times.

Sports
Phillies or Red Sox (I think I know the answer to this one): Phillies, obviously.
Favorite sport to watch on tv: Baseball, Basketball, and Football

Write an acrostic poem using the first letters of your name:

Jazzy (he had to Wikipedia adjectives that start with j)

Open-minded

Nice

Athletic

Trustworthy

Honest

Adorable

No comment

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.