How to Dress Professionally Without Buying New Clothes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Whether it be for an internship, a paid job, or even a volunteer position, as college students we are bound to run into at least one opportunity where we need to dress for success. That’s right, these are the times when Brandeis apparel won’t do, and you need to look put-together and professional. Never fear, this is much easier than it seems and can easily be accomplished within your wardrobe—no need to go shopping!

Dress up your leggings

I’m a huge fan of leggings and I wear them multiple times a week. We all know they can be super comfy and casual, but did you know you can easily turn them into a cute work outfit? Pair leggings with a long blouse or sweater and cute boots (not snow boots!), and you have a comfortable yet still put-together outfit. To make it even more professional, you can add some sort of statement accessory like an infinity scarf or a statement necklace. And, if your workplace requires very formal attire, you can rock your leggings with a blazer, blouse, and heels.

Pull out those non-denim pants

You must have some pairs of pants that aren’t jeans. Use these non-denim pants to create fashionable work outfits! A stylish top may look really nice with jeans, but you will be amazed to see that it looks even more professional when it’s paired with non-denim pants. Black pants are always a safe choice, but depending on the vibe of your workplace you may be able to rock some fun colored or patterned pants. Be sure to still pair this with blouses or other nicer tops…your tank top may look really great with those patterned pants, but is probably not professional enough for the workplace!  

Accessorize

This is one of the easiest things you can do to transform an everyday outfit into something more work-appropriate. If you already have an outfit in mind that you think is pretty put-together but needs a little something else, look no further than a great accessory. Some of my favorite options include a scarf, a skinny belt, a headband, or a piece of statement jewelry. Be careful not to over-do it though, too many accessories can become overwhelming.  

Choose the right shoes

Shoes finish off any outfit nicely, so be sure to choose wisely. Your rain or snow boots may be super trendy, but they are not professional enough for work. Similarly, your sneakers may be stylish, but they are still too casual for your work-friendly outfit. Instead, you should try tall boots, ballet flats, or at fancier jobs, heels.  That being said, be sure to still keep it appropriate and practical. Open-toed shoes are often a no-no at many jobs, and six-inch heels aren’t going to make your feet feel very good after a long day at work. Try a more modest height—trust me, you will thank me.