Finals Survival Guide: The Pitch And The Home Stretch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

I’ll make this quick: I have finals to study for! 

There are two stages left in your finals week nightmare, the Pitch and the Home Stretch. As my boyfriend kindly pointed out to me, baseball-wise these two things don’t make any sense together. But bear with me. 

The Pitch: Your first exam, the one where you are most nervous, new to the finals experience, or perhaps the final you dread the most. This one may make or break the grade.

Home Stretch: Your finals marathon. During the home stretch you are drowning in work and all you want is to cross that plate and be home safe (wherever home may be-don’t forget to pack!).

It’s time. Finals are upon us and we need to bear down and finish out the year strong. Here are your tips to make it through intact!

1) Sleep and eat: they’re not kidding when they say that sleep is important. While I most emphasize that you must sleep before your first exam, sleep throughout finals is often neglected. Don’t underestimate how tired your brain gets, even if you physically don’t feel exhausted. Pulling an all-nighter may seem like a good idea for exam number 1, but if you have exam number 2 coming up the next day, your grade may suffer. True, we all have those classes where a 50 on the final would be sufficient to earn an A, so use your judgement. If you have two extremely intensive exams, don’t sacrifice one to ace the other.  

Let your suitemates or roommates know exactly when your exams are so they know to be respectful of your sleep schedule. Don’t be afraid to assert your right to sleep-you only get one shot to do this and you won’t be able to tell your teacher it was all someone else’s fault (well you will, but I wouldn’t recommend it). 

As for food, do your best to binge on healthy things during that late night study session: sugar before an exam is also ok, it will give you some short-term energy and help you stay alert. Avoid energy drinks because it’s hard to predict how long the effect will last. 

2) Study! But don’t lock yourself in isolation for a week (most of my friends will willingly disclose that I don’t take this advice). Keep in mind that you need to review your subjects before being tested on them. There’s a reason finals week isn’t known for its party potential: it has very little. Don’t spend every waking moment studying but don’t be reluctant to give up a few nights of partying for a better grade. Being done with finals is so much better when you’re happy with the results.

3) Arrive early: As a recently retired AXE commercial will tell you, smell is the strongest sense tied to memory. As many psychologists will tell you, your memory is linked to locations as well. In general it is easier to recall information when you are sitting in the same place you learned it and practiced it. Unfortunately, many final exams do not occur in the classrooms where our courses were taught, so come a little early to find a seat and get used to recalling information in a new setting. 

4) Breathe before the test: Don’t study up until the moment of the exam. Stop at least ten minutes early and let your mind wander. You won’t forget the things you’ve secured and you’ll be able to step away from the stress of the exam for a short while. Nerves account for a significant amount of stupid mistakes, so reminding yourself how important this test is won’t help you perform to your full potential. Your emphasis on the importance of the test is reflected in the countless hours spent studying: now is just your chance to show what you’ve learned. 

5) Don’t flip out. If you have high expectations for the exam, seeing even one problem you don’t know how to solve can be disastrous for your morale. Don’t let one question, or however many there may be, psych you out. Close your eyes, stop thinking about the question for a second, and then move on. Sometimes other questions may jog your memory, while other times a simple re-read will give you hints you didn’t pick up on at first. If you don’t know the answer, skip the question and come back to it. If it’s multiple choice, guess and if it’s an open-ended question write something. Partial credit is your friend.

6) Ask now or forever regret it: If you have a question, ASK. If a TA comes to your assistance with an answer that makes no sense ASK AGAIN-someone else this time. Anyone who has taken accounting with Richard Keith (who I love..just so it’s clear) knows that asking one simple question about a balance sheet on the midterm exam results in the difference between an A and a B if not more. Don’t assume that if a teacher gets a seemingly important question he/she will share the answer with the whole class and that no announcements mean no questions should be had! Although this practice seems reasonable, many teachers don’t believe you should get the benefit of someone else’s sleuthing, so do your own!

7) Between exams: If you have two tests in a row, I don’t blame you for a quick study session in between. Practice shifting gears beforehand so your mind isn’t totally rocked by the sudden change in focus. Find somewhere quiet and close so you don’t have to worry about making it to your next test on time, but set a phone alarm to make sure you are heading to the next location well in advance of the start time. 

If your two exams are spaced far enough apart for a two or three hour break, take it. Don’t study or think about school, watch a movie or take a nap. A tired and frustrated mind is not useful to anyone and it isn’t going to recover as quickly after each test. Finals should be tough but they shouldn’t make you ill-don’t push yourself to the point of insanity even if it seems as though you’re strapped for time. 

Good luck this week from all of us at Her Campus!

HCXO

Abigail Katznelson is a Senior at Brandeis University studying Economics and Psychology. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is so excited to have been recognized by Brandeis as an official charter! She is a member of the Brandeis Student Union, Creative Advertising Director for Student Events, and the Vice President of Sigma Delta Tau Delta Gamma Chapter. Her interests include singing, shopping, writing and exploring exotic foods. She will attend Brandeis’ International Business School next year as a participant in Brandeis’ 5-Year Masters program in International Finance.