This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

The dust of the summer blockbusters is finally settling. The Avengers and Mad Max were explosive fun, Adam Sandler disappointed unsurprisingly, and Josh Trank is still tweeting about how his Fantastic Four reboot was better a year ago before half of its scenes were removed from the final cut. But that was then and this is now. What are moviegoers to do when coming down from the high-octane, adrenaline fueled summer movie season? Well have no fear, because this fall looks promising with a plethora of potential box-office breakers. Below is my list of highly anticipated fall movies.

Drama

Fall is nothing if not filled with drama films of all shapes and sizes. Up first on the list is Cary Fukunaga’s Beasts of No Nation, which focuses on children soldiers in Africa. This should be at the top of your list for many reasons. The first and foremost is Idris Elba. We all know Elba from countless projects, but not everyone may know Fukunaga; he is the genius behind season one of True Detective (not season 2). Beasts of no Nation is a Netflix original movie coming out October 16th. Look at the trailer here

The Keeping Room travels back in time to the final days of the Civil War. It focuses around three women- two sisters and a former slave- who need to fight to defend their home against two rogue soldiers of the Union Army. The film has been nominated for awards at the Cleveland International Film Festival, the London Film Festival and the Stockholm Film Festival. Check out the trailer

Bridge of Spies is another collaboration between Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg. Hanks plays American lawyer James Donovan who is recruited by the CIA during the Cold War to rescue an American pilot captured by the Soviet Union. Hanks is complimented by Amy Ryan and Peter McRobbie. Look at the cool trailer

On October 16th, Brie Larson stars in the movie adaptation of Room by Emma Donoghue, directed by Lenny Abrahamson, the director of the offbeat 2014 hit, Frank. Room is a fascinating window into the lives of a mother and five year old son, who were in captivity for half a decade, and their struggle to adjust to the outside world. Here’s the trailer. 

Lastly for my drama picks is Suffragette, which focuses on the main players in the early feminist movement. The film stars Carey Mulligan, Helena Bonham Carter, and Meryl Streep. With a cast like that, it will be a challenge for the movie to fail. Suffragette opens October 23rd.  

Action

Daniel Craig is back with his fourth installment of his James Bond Career in Spectre. There are a lot of things that make me excited for Spectre; first is talented director Sam Mendes responsible for other classics such as American Beauty and Skyfall (so he knows how to make a successful Bond/Craig movie). The biggest draw to Spectre is lead bad guy Christoph Waltz. Waltz is a phenomenal actor, but he especially stands out when playing villains- think Colonel Hans Landa from Inglorious Bastards. You can find the trailer here

One of the films I’m most looking forward to seeing this fall is Sicario, staring Emily Blunt and Benicio Del Toro. Blunt plays an FBI agent drawn into the carnage of the war on drugs in the border area between the U.S. and Mexico. Denis Villeneuve, director of the 2013 success Prisoners, debuts his film on October 3rd. 

Most Anticipated

Since I couldn’t decide on which movie I’m most excited for this fall, here is my three-pronged “most anticipated” list. First up is Steve Jobs. Other than the amazing trailers and cast (Michael Fassbender, Kate Winslet, Jeff Daniels) it is being written by Aaron Sorkin, the mastermind behind the legendary 2010 biopic of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, The Social Network. You can’t miss its release on October 23rd. 

Next up is Tom McCarthy’s Spotlight, which follows the Boston Globe staff as they uncover the scandal of child molestation in the Catholic Church. Staring Rachel McAdams, Live Schreiber, Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo and Stanley Tucci, this film has arguably the strongest cast of the fall season. Check it out November 6th. 

Lastly is The Danish Girl, directed by Tom Hooper, the director of The King’s Speech. The film chronicles the lives of artists Lili Elbe and Gerda Wegner. The film, staring Eddie Redmayne, looks incredible and should be near the top of everyone’s list. It is released November 27th. Take a look at the trailer

This Fall has a lot to offer movie goers. Between all the fantastic looking biopics and the endless amount of dramas, this season is sure to put a dent in some wallets, but with these strong directors and even stronger casts it seems worth it.

Photos:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/48/9b/19/489b19ce0d6c9852010cc…

http://www.007.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/FACEBOOK.1.jpg

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/spotlight-600×3…