Carlton Shakes ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Student union elections are tomorrow, which means that now is the time for you to decide who to vote for. I had the pleasure of sitting down with Carlton Shakes, who is running for Student Union Secretary, in order to hear more about why he would make a great secretary. 

1. Why did you first get involved in the student union?
I first decided to get involved in the Student Union after witnessing its success my first year. I recognized that the Union is an integral group that represents the student body as a whole and I feel as though I would be a valuable addition to the organization.

2. Why are you running for student union secretary/ What is your platform?
As Student Union Secretary, I want to utilize social networking to our community’s advantage. By introducing new mediums including our traditional email and campus publication system, the school body can more effectively be connected to Brandeis news, events and updates.

3. How has your role as student union assistant treasurer prepared you for the role of secretary?
As an assistant treasurer this year, I developed a personal relationship with many clubs on campus by serving as their direct liaison to the treasury. My position has prepared me for the responsibilities as secretary, which will include reaching out to the Brandeis public and promoting a symbiotic relationship between students, clubs, faculty and the administration.

4. What would you say to people who feel that the student union doesn’t accomplish anything/is pointless?
Let’s talk about improved hours in the C-Store and the Bran Van. The Union has worked to improve resources that affect students’ everyday lives. However, we don’t do this for the credit and recognition. The Student Union participates in initiatives that benefit the Brandeis community; we are committed to our purpose!

5. What is your favorite part about Brandeis?
My favorite part of Brandeis is the collective individuality throughout the student body. Every Brandeis student has at least one outstanding quality, which validates why they are a “deisian.” Our students are politically and socially aware; we are passionate about using our Brandeis education to positively give back to the world.

6. Who is your favorite Brandeis alum?
I really look up to former Student Union President, Daniel Acheampong. He’s an awesome role model and led his Brandeis career with genuine hard work and integrity.

Lastly, did I forget to mention that he is hilarious?

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.