Brandeis Alumni Star in NBC’s “Smash”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

I’m sure that if you have not seen NBC’s new show Smash,  then you have at least heard about it. If not, then it should definitely be thenext television show you watch. 

Smash revolves around a group of people who come together to put on a Broadway musical based on the life of Marilyn Monroe. For this to happen, however, the characters must first deal with their own personal lives. The show is a backstage melodrama featuring two Brandeis alumni who play essential roles: one in front of the camera, and the other, behind it.

Emmy Award-winning actress Debra Messing (class of 1990) and TV writer Theresa Rebeck, (M.A. 1983, M.F.A. 1986, and Ph.D. 1989), the show’s creator, are two of the big names involved in the new series. Messing, who willforever be remembered for her role on the NBC comedy series Will & Grace, plays Julia Houston, the lyricist on the songwriting team of the Marilyn musical. Her character in the series faces hardship when it comes to balancing the demands of Broadway with the needs of her family and personal life.

Smash airs every Monday night on NBC at 10/9c, and for those of you who have not been following, the episodes can be found on Hulu. There’s no reason not watch- especially if it’s to support a couple fellow ‘Deisans!