Amy Melser ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

I met Amy Melser last year when we were tabling in the SCC for the Her Campus Brandeis t-shirt design contest. Although she was wearing a Her Campus shirt and neutral maxi skirt, there was something about the way she made those two simple items look so put together with her accessories, make-up, and hair that screamed, “I have style.” Amy later told me that she loved fashion, which I gathered the instant I saw her. That is why I was not surprised to hear that she recently won a $5,000 scholarship from the YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund for a business plan she created for a fashion magazine that caters to both men and women. Liya Kahan ’12, Lee Nison ’14, and Ari Tretin‘12 were also awarded the prestigious scholarship and were honored on January 10th at a gala in New York City. Luckily, Amy agreed to give Her Campus the inside scoop on the incredible evening along with some fashion advice and insight into her favorite spring trends. Read on! 

Congrats on winning the YMA fashion scholarship! When did you first hear about it and what inspired you to apply?
Thank you so much! I have Abi Katznelson (founder of Her Campus - Brandeis branch and former YMA - FSF recipient) to thank because she suggested I apply for the scholarship last semester when we were tabling for Her Campus at the spring activities fair!  I have always had an interest in fashion and have completed many internships in the industry. Therefore, it felt only appropriate to apply to one of the few opportunities Brandeis sponsors for students interested in pursuing fashion-related careers.

Last month you flew to New York City for the gala honoring the 125 scholarship winners. What was the evening like? What people from the fashion industry attended? Most importantly, what did you wear?
The gala took place at the lavish Waldorf Astoria. It was an amazing evening filled with of top fashion executives and influencers.  The cocktail hour allowed students to rub shoulders with sartorial greats such as Yigal Azrouel and Jason Wu, (Wu was honored the Future of Fashion award during dinner). I must admit though, it was most thrilling to see Bill Cunningham snapping away. While it was a fashion event, I was dressed in a more business manner, (which is what we were told to do), as opposed to something more eccentric because it was an opportunity to network with industry professionals. Therefore, I donned a LBD with some fun accessories, like my new House of Harlow necklace (which I can't stop wearing)!

When did you develop your passion for fashion? Have you had any internships or jobs in the field? 
I developed my love for fashion at the ripe old age of 3. I'm told I went through a stage where I would only wear dresses! I've always had an affinity for feminine pieces and I guess that's how it all started!  Moreover, I began subscribing to magazines very early on which helped me recognize designers and trends. Reading magazines also fostered my career aspirations in fashion journalism. The internships I have completed in fashion, from Lucky to College Fashionista, have been invaluable learning experiences.

What is your favorite trend for Spring 2012?
My favorite look featured throughout the Spring 2012 collections would have to be the demure, knee-length skirt done especially well by DVF, Marc Jacobs and Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel. Idefinitely believe there are ways to dress in warmer weather that do not involve  baring it all. The subtly sexy look of a knee-length skirt is just what I'll be  investing in for spring.

Are you an avid fashion blog reader? If so, which ones are your favorites?
I'm actually not a die-hard fashion blog reader, but on occasion I read "A Cup of  Jo," "Cupcakes and Cashmere," and my friend's blog, "Style with Grace."

What is the best piece of fashion advice you have received? 
Most people know Coco Chanel's famous quote of taking one thing off before leaving the house and  it is definitely a piece of advice that resonates with me. I love jewelry and it helps to take something off before I leave the house so that it doesn't overwhelm whatever ensemble I happen to be wearing that day. 

*Photo 1 courtesy of the the Billy Farrell Agency
*Photo 2 courtesy of Amy Melser

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.