5 Things Every Brandeisian Has Said

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Let’s be honest…you’ve said all of these things this past week. You probably even said them all yesterday.

1. “Upper or lower?”

Ah the age-old question. Not only do you have to decide on eating in Usdan, but now you have to make another choice: will you wait it out in line for Currito or Louis’s Deli, or will you battle it out for a seat in the dining hall-style area? Personally, as someone who lives closer to Usdan and is too lazy to ever trek to Sherman, the perennial “upper or lower?” question is always asked, especially in a frantic group chat at 6pm. You’ve all been there.

2. “I’m a (*insert a million subjects here*) major with minors in (*insert another million subjects*)”

If you ask the most Brandeis students what they are studying, they will give you an extensive list of their multiple majors and minors that will both cause you to be very impressed by their academic talents, but also cause you to have a mini-panic attack. Don’t stress—as a Brandeis student with a single major and pretty time consuming minor, I understand the pressure to have multiple majors (especially when it seems like everyone else does), but everyone’s academic experience is different, and you are no less impressive for just having one major! I mean it.

3. At least 6 different abbreviations or acronyms to refer to something on campus

“Meet me in the SCC, she’s a HSSP major, his office hours are in IBS, I have a meeting in ASAC,” the list goes on and on. Acronyms are a part of everyday language at Brandeis, and people would definitely look at you funny if you told them you were having a meeting in the Shapiro Campus Center. Just no.

4. “I can’t, I have…..”

Just as Brandeis students tend to be involved in million academic departments, pretty much everyone you run into on the campus is perpetually busy with clubs, meetings, jobs, and of course, studying. It is not uncommon as a Brandeis student to have to turn down a couple of activities or event invitations because you have prior commitments and are just too darn busy.  Listen to Ryan Gosling and hang in there…you will have free time, and when you do, take advantage of it!

5. “Ugh, Rabb” (or some variation of this phrase)

On this excessively hilly campus, the endless Rabb steps are a dreaded part of the walk to class. No matter how in shape you are, it is no fun to trudge up those flights with a heavy backpack strapped to your back. Don’t even get me started on Rabb in the snow.