Winter In Brunswick: Function Over Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

Shout-out to our readers from warmer climes! As Fall Break approaches, you’ve probably been noticing some changes in Brunswick—namely, the ungodly worship of cider, dead leaves called “foliage”, and a foreboding chill in the air.

But not to worry, there is no need to be foreboded upon. Cider is delicious, leaves make great bookmarks, and come Halloween you are going to have the winter of your life!

Of course, it helps to be prepared. We all know that the gloves vs. mittens debate is as old as boxers vs. briefs, so I asked two well seasoned Bowdoin gals how they survived their first Maine winter.

Nani Durnan ’13 from Nashville, Tennessee remembers her introduction to heavy snow in somewhat comical terms: “Brunswick’s first snowstorm of 2009 was basically a blizzard, and I fell on the quad trying to get to class the next morning. I legitimately fell to my knees and looked skyward with my fists clenched in frozen despair.”

Durnan had bought winter clothing prior to arriving at Bowdoin, but it soon became clear which clothing did and didn’t work:

“I bought the sorts of things I thought a Maine native or alluring modern pioneer woman might own: long underwear, mittens, wellie warmers. All of which, PS, are useless. Wellie warmers come out of the boot with my foot; mittens make me feel like a sad otter with no feeling in my paws; long underwear is great, until you’re inside and your body is a sauna unto itself.”

Well banish that sad otter because Jenni Stobiecki ’13 from Lakewood, California can sum up her advice in one word: layers.

Although “finding ways to cost-efficiently accumulate all those layers when most of your clothes from home were not made to keep you warm past forty degrees” can be a challenge, says Stobiecki, she’s learned to be patient in combating the chill.

The essentials according to Jenni:
-“puffy winter coat (hopefully water repellent with a hood)”
-“tons of sweaters of varying weight”
-“a durable fleece”
-“Bean boots (they are pretty much a lifesaver, being super comfortable and somewhat stylish on the Bowdoin campus).”

The essentials according to Nani:
– “Buy coats with hoods”
-“Buy some good boots, and do not lose them at Pine Street”
-“in the name of all that is polar, buy all of the Smartwool”

To review: what do we love? Hoods!

Fall Break is the perfect time to fill those holes in your wardrobe. If you’re sticking around here, check out L.L. Bean, The North Face, and Patagonia outlets in Freeport for good deals. Remember, anything with wool= warm.

If you’re headed home (lucky duck) talk to your parents about what you think you’ll need. You can order online and have it sent here, or ask your parents to help you budget a trip into Freeport upon your return.

I just might order some more SmartWool myself!

Photo Credits:
Zeiglers.com
Catherine Yochum

Marissa is a senior at Bowdoin College, majoring in Government and minoring in English. She's interned with NPR, The Christian Science Monitor and ELLE.com. In her spare time she enjoys writing poetry, baking cupcakes, tweeting, and admiring the big dipper. She hopes to live in a lighthouse someday, with 27 cats and a good set of watercolors.