Her Campus Boise State’s Weekend Netflix Picks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Welcome to the weekend! You have officially made it through the first couple weeks of school – congratulations! As you prepare for some weekend vegging, consider this your guide through the black hole that is Netflix. This week’s picks offer up a variety of genres to mix up your Netflix binge-fest with some recommendations of flicks worth adding to your list. Throw on those sweatpants and snarky T and get ready to snuggle up in bed with these 5 films to Netflix ‘n chill with this weekend. P.S. Don’t forget snacks!

Like Water for Chocolate – Foreign romance {Spanish}

If you’re a foodie that appreciates a good tear-jerker this one is for you. This film follows the life of Tita, the youngest daughter in a matriarchal family consisting of all women. Being the youngest, Tita’s sole responsibility in life is to care for and serve her mother until the day her mother dies. Things get a little awkward when Tita’s love interest is offered a hand in marriage to one of her sisters. In her sorrow, Tita throws herself into her cooking and turns her meals into a (literally) emotional experience for all who eat them.

Starlet – Independent

Do you dig Indie films? If you are looking for one that is a little different, Starlet is an excellent choice. This story follows a young actress (Jane) as she tries to befriend a crabby old woman (Sadie). As their unlikely friendship develops, secrets from both their past and present lives are revealed ending the film in a bittersweet moment.

American Mary – Dark/Horror-esque {trigger warning: rape scene}

If you dig revenge movies with lots of gore and strong, bad ass heroines please put this one on the top of your list. A promising medical student who is strapped for cash begins taking body modification clients after hours. At what was supposed to be a harmless social hour with fellow hospital surgeons, Mary is drugged and raped by a former teacher. She takes revenge into her own hands by having her rapist kidnapped, when she begins performing various (involuntary) extreme body modifications on him while keeping him as her captive.

Madame Bovary – Drama/Tragedy

If you’re a fan of period pieces, you’re going to love the tragedy of Madame Bovary. Mia Wasikowska stars as the vain Madame Bovary in the film-adaptation of the Gustave Flaubert novel. Madame Bovary marries a small-town doctor thinking she’s “married up” to enjoy the leisure of the high life only to find endless boredom and loneliness in her loveless marriage. In an effort to escape the banalities of her life she turns to material extravagance and a steamy affair.

Hector and the Search for Happiness – Feel-good, Comedy

I’m just going to go ahead and throw this great feel-good movie into the mix. This one stars Simon Pegg as a quirky psychiatrist that grows tired of giving his patients advice that never seems to make them feel any better. As a sort of social experiment, he takes off on a world adventure to discover the key to what makes truly people happy.

Sophomore student at Boise State University double majoring in Sociology and Health Science with an emphasis in public health. Hobbies include Crossfit, cars, food, and binge watching British TV shows on Netflix.