Valentine’s Day Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Let me tell you a story. Growing up, I had the most beautiful best friend. She never went through an awkward stage—tall, thin, with long curly hair, and all the assets boys like. Naturally, she got all the attention, all of the time.  It did not usually bother me, however on Valentine’s Day it definitely did. Now, kids have to bring a valentine card for everyone, but it wasn’t like that when I was in school. When we were little, her brown paper bag in class would be overflowing with letters from secret admirers and young lovers, and mine would have MAYBE five or six from other little girls. I was always so jealous of her, and the attention she got. I started to wonder… What does she have that I don’t? Am I not wanted or worthy of love? These questions quickly consumed me as I created my identity.

As we got older, it didn’t get better. She would gleam on the first day of February, getting excited for the 14th. I would dread it. Just another day to remind me that no one will ever love me, and I will never be pretty enough. One year was particularly bad when a boy bought her over 300 dollars’ worth of flowers and candy, and that was just one of the many guys who pursued her. I was filled with sadness and envy; my self-esteem plummeted.

I got involved with guys who didn’t treat me right later on just to fill that void, but it never really helped. Since then, I have learned a very important lesson that I would like to share with you: your worth does not come from external sources. The number of cards you get on Valentine’s Day does not equate to how AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, and IMPORTANT you are. What other people see, or do not see in you, does not define who you are. You define who you are, no one else. Always remember that. Maybe this V-Day, buy yourself some flowers, your favorite chocolates, and a big old teddy bear, because guess what… You are worth it.