Why We Love Fall Semesters in Binghamton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Welcome back to Binghamton University! With the fall semester in full swing with classes, clubs, and socializing keeping us busy, it’s easy to forget all of the amazing perks that come with going to a school in upstate New York during this time of year. Whether you’re still upset about summer coming to an end, anxiously awaiting the winter weather, or simply just looking for reasons to admire autumn, here is why the Binghamton Her Campus team loves the fall semester.

Changes- Binghamton is absolutely beautiful come mid-October and early November. Lucky for us, we get to witness the beautiful views of the hills changing from green to an array of oranges, yellows, red, and browns. And once the leaves fall to the ground, what’s better than that crunchy leaves sounds you get to listen to on your way to class? Aside from the weather, the fall semester at Binghamton is a great chance for students to start a new school year on a new foot. Maybe you slacked off in the spring and you want to raise your GPA this semester. Maybe you had your first internship this past summer and your new experiences in a professional setting provided you with a better work ethic that you can’t wait to put to use this semester. Whatever the situation, the fall semester means we’re all a grade older and with that, we have the chance to start fresh both academically and socially.

Flavors- Apple picking and pumpkin picking are two favorite pastimes in the fall and there’s so many great places in the Binghamton area to go apple picking and pumpkin picking. Places like Apple Hills, Lone Maple Farm, Jackson’s Pumpkin Farm all provide for fun weekend day trips with your friends to pick fresh apples for baking or simply eating plain, and pumpkin picking for pumpkin carving or making pumpkin treats such as pumpkin pie or roasted pumpkin seeds. Speaking of apples and pumpkins, our favorite coffee shops such as Starbucks offer limited time seasonal drinks such as hot apple cider and everyone’s favorite- the classic pumpkin spice latte.

New Clothes- What’s better than waking up in the morning and throwing on your favorite pair of leggings with a warm oversized sweater and boots? Fall wardrobes are amazing because they’re cute, comfortable, and perfect for when the weather starts to get nippy but doesn’t yet require a heavy winter jacket. So while it may be hard to retire the shorts, tank tops, and sandals, get excited for all the cute and cozy fashion trends that autumn provides us with. Accessorizing is extra fun in the fall because there are so many options for boots, scarves, and light jackets and cardigans that you don’t have to spend too much money on to look cute!

Cuddling- On a hot summer day, it’s not really fun to stay inside and cuddle up, but it is fun to do on a chilly fall day. Grab your favorite blanket, your favorite warm drink, and curl up and watch a movie with the view of the colorful landscape outside your window. Before the winter weather starts, another fun thing to do is to have a bonfire outside. The possibilities of staying warm and having fun are endless in the fall, and Binghamton has a lot to offer this time of year so take advantage before it gets too cold! 

Samantha Wieder is a senior at Binghamton University. She's majoring in English Rhetoric and minoring in Cinema. Heavily involved in campus, she's proud to be part of BTV, Binghamton's student run television station, as production manager on e-board. She's also a member of the Marketing Association, staff writer for Pipe Dream Release, and a sister of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. During the summer of 2014, she was an Editorial Intern at Long Island Pulse Magazine in Patchogue, NY and during the summer of 2015, she was a Marketing and Communications Intern at Hazon, a Jewish non-profit in the Financial District. She looks forward to interning at FOX 40 in Binghamton during the spring 2016 semester and to begin a career in New York City for post-grad life. She looks forward to another incredible year of writing for Her Campus!
Binghamton Contributor