This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Now that (most of) the craziness surrounding Zayn Malik’s departure from One Direction has died down, I feel that I am no ready to talk about it. I’ll admit it- I’m a Directioner. It’s crazy to think but about two years ago I couldn’t stand them, I thought they were just another silly boy band that would eventually fade away. I knew “What Makes You Beautiful” and “One Thing” were catchy but having a freshman year roommate who listened to them ALL the time, secretly would rub off on me, and without anyone knowing, I would one by one, purchase their songs on iTunes, and in no time started referring to myself as “Mrs. Styles.” So fast forward two years later: I’m excited to see them for a second time in concert this summer from floor seats and then I find out that I won’t be seeing Zayn.

I was in a two hour film class when the One Direction Facebook account officially announced Malik’s departure from the group. My friend (aka freshman year roomie) called me as I was sitting in class and when she texted me “ZAYN QUIT 1D,” I laughed and wondered which silly magazine falsely reported that. Upon learning that his departure was announced in an official statement, I was crushed. I wondered if this would be the end of One Direction. I mean, in the statement they said that the band would carry on as a four piece and that they were recording the fifth album, but the only thing on my mind was if they would be able to last long enough to the summer when I have plans to see them from amazing floor seats.

In the days following his leave from the band due to wanting to be a “normal 22-year-old” drama ensued on social media over Malik’s alleged new song produced by Naughty Boy who Louis Tomlinson accused of trying to make fans more upset about Malik. Malik also caused some controversy when he was photographed boarding a private jet with his fiancée, and Little Mix singer, Perrie Edwards and jetting off on a vacation to Cannes, France, causing fans to criticize his actions as not being things that a “normal” 22-year-old would do. All five members have spoken out on the situation to UK newspaper, The Sun, and fans are anxiously awaiting Malik to come out with a more personalized statement about his departure from the world’s most famous band at the moment.

After a week and a half of constant news stories, rumors, and tears shed by One Direction fans, one thing seems certain, Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, and Louis Tomlinson are here to stay. While it was hard to comprehend at first and may still seem a bit weird, this is the new One Direction. Sure, Zayn won’t be there to hit his high note in “You & I” or be there to announce that the next song they’re singing is “Little Things,” but all of these little things have been taken over by the remaining four members, and now I’m confident that the future of One Direction will be just as strong as it was, even without Zayn. 

Samantha Wieder is a senior at Binghamton University. She's majoring in English Rhetoric and minoring in Cinema. Heavily involved in campus, she's proud to be part of BTV, Binghamton's student run television station, as production manager on e-board. She's also a member of the Marketing Association, staff writer for Pipe Dream Release, and a sister of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi. During the summer of 2014, she was an Editorial Intern at Long Island Pulse Magazine in Patchogue, NY and during the summer of 2015, she was a Marketing and Communications Intern at Hazon, a Jewish non-profit in the Financial District. She looks forward to interning at FOX 40 in Binghamton during the spring 2016 semester and to begin a career in New York City for post-grad life. She looks forward to another incredible year of writing for Her Campus!
Binghamton Contributor