Snapshot: My Favorite Place on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

In college there aren’t many places that someone can call home, not too many places that can make you feel at peace after a long stressful day. Sure a milkshake from the CIW Night Owl is great to comfort you after a bombed accounting exam but food is temporary. Where do you go when you need a good cry after a horrible breakup or you’re just starting to miss home?

For me it’s the track. I’ve been a competitive track and field athlete for ten years. At this point in my life being an athlete and running track and field are not something I do, it’s just who I am. The track is my home.

When I am running, whether it’s on the track, open road, or on the trails in the nature preserve there’s really no better feeling. It’s one of the only times in the day when I am fully able to clear my mind and be free from the stresses that life brings.

On days when I don’t run, I feel it. My body feels off, my mind is clouded with too much and I just don’t feel right. But all it takes is a few quick turns around the 400m I’ve grown to love to be right back where I feel best.

The track is not only a place to work out though, there have been many a times when I’ve gone to the track burdened with worries and doubts on life and just simply just listening to music and laying around the lanes brings me peace.

It saddens me to know that I’m graduating and my athletic career will come to an end but one thing I know for sure is that wherever I move to, a track needs to be close by.

Shavonna Q. Hinton
Binghamton Contributor