Sean Muir- Mountainview College Council President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

At Binghamton, balancing a full schedule of classes with a social life is about as much multi-tasking as the average student can handle. But some students , like Sean Muir, a Junior Accounting major, opt to take on leadership roles in addition to the daily stresses of school and college life.

As President of Mountainview College Council, Muir works to support the interests and concerns of  some 1100 students that reside in the Mountainview  College community,“ I oversee four hall governments and a community-wide e-board.  I also advocate for students at meetings with the university administration and director of residential life.” Muir explained.

In addition to these responsibilities, Muir has been very involved in an initiative to pave the infamous Mountainview dirt path.  The often treacherous path, which runs from the Appalachian Dining Hall to Lot W, has become a popular route for  Mountainview students,  who  are usually in a rush to get to class on time.  Muir and other student representatives have been working diligently to obtain the funding necessary to make the path safe for all students, “In the Fall I was able to get a $60,000 commitment for the project.” Muir said, “In total we have over $100,000 and hopefully we will be getting administrative approval soon.”

Being president also allows Muir to plan and oversee new Mountainview events as well as some time-honored traditions , “Right now we are preparing for Salamander Days which is a week long event.  It’s full of competitions between the residence halls that get people out of their rooms and involved in some fun activities.” Muir said, “We are organizing an outdoor lazer tag event for later this semester.  It was a big success last year and we are trying to get even more participants this spring.”

Even though the position brings with it numerous obligations, Muir says that being president has allowed him to make connections with countless campus leaders, “I’ve gotten to know many administrators on a personal level and that’s been really cool.”

As for finding time for it all, Muir maintains it’s all about finding a balance, “It hasn’t been too bad, honestly.  I’ve been pretty involved since I was a freshman and have developed good time management skills.  It’s important for me to have fun and spend some time relaxing, too.”

Lauren Howley is a junior at Binghamton University pursuing a double degreen in English/rhetoric and Marketing. Originally from Staten Island, New York, Lauren thinks that New York City is the most beautiful place in the world and hopes to one day live and work there. She was a staff writer for the Arts and Lifestyle section of the Binghamton PipeDream, where she spent her time writing about fashion and college life. Last summer, she spent her time researching honeymoon destinations and blogging about bridal trends as an intern for The Knot Weddings Magazine in New York City. In her spare time, Lauren enjoys laughing, hanging out with her friends, blasting music while she drives, applying movie quotes every situation possible, and drinking coffee like its her job. In the future, she hopes to pursue a career in lifestyle journalism or entrepreneurship.