Men of Color Scholastic Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

With so many organizations on Binghamton’s campus it can be a hassle to keep track of all of them. This week I was able to meet with a group that is in the process of becoming SA-chartered. 

(For those of you who don’t know. An SA chartered group, in Binghamton terms, is one that receives funding from the Student Association and are recognized as an official group on campus.)

And since Her Campus knows how it goes with getting SA chartered, we decided to show what the Men of Color Scholastic Society was up to. Even though most of our readers are female, you can still point your guy friends towards the group!

The Men of Color Scholastic Society was established in Binghamton as the Men of Color in 2001. Since then it has undergone a few name changes from Brother to Brother, as well as Brother to Hermano. It finally became Men of Color Scholastic Society.

It wasn’t easy for the founders of this organizations, having to dress in a professional manner as well as attending meetings every Sunday at 7 a.m. 

But the work these young men have put into this organization shows.

I interviewed the president Julius Ojo and received insight on the organization and its goals and aspirations while on its way to becoming SA-chartered.  

Q: Hello Julius, as I have it you are the president of The Men of Color Scholastic Society, do you have other members on your executive board? 

A: Yes, we have Nana Tabi as vice president and Byron Farquharsom as the treasurer. 

Q: What are the goals of The Men of Color Scholastic organization? 

A: The goals of the Men of Color Scholastic organization are to promote leadership, academic excellence, networking among other Men of Color Scholastic organizations in other college campuses, and above all unity between the men of color in Binghamton’s campus. 

Q: What are the plans for the organization after it becomes SA chartered? 

A: The organization is planning to have forums with the Juvenile Urban Mentoring Program also known as JUMP. We believe we can relate the goals of JUMP in mentoring our youth with the goal of uniting the youth from a young age so that their common goal is to aspire to their highest potential. Another goal is to continue to network, just as we did in a Brockport convection with other Men of Color from different universities. It lets us have a successful alumni, that can advise us men of color on how to make it in the America’s economy. 

Q: How do you hope to accomplish these plans? 

A: The organization wants to reach out to all men of color. We want to be able to lead by example and display the different professional characteristics that men of color possess. 

Q: With many SA-chartered organizations on campus, what will The Men of Color Scholastic Honor Society specifically bring? 

A: We hope to focus on all men of color. There are many separate organizations that focus on specific races, we want to bring the men from these organizations to join The Men of Color Scholastic Society, so that there can be unity. 

Q: A lot of organizations bring a lot to campus, but not enough to the Binghamton community, will you help the area? 

A: As men of color we believe in assisting in any way those who may need it. That said the organization has been focusing on assisting those affected by the flood. We have also begun to brainstorm on future plans and hope to have an annual cookout, where Binghamton residents and students can get to know one another in a different relaxed, fun environment. 

Q: Julius, I know you are a senior, what do you hope to see the Men of Color Scholastic Society have accomplished when you come back as an alumni? 

A: I believe everything the Men of Color Scholastic Society does will be accomplished, as long as our initial goal of unity does not get lost. A personal goal not only for the Men of Color Scholastic Society, but all the cultural organizations on campus is to come together and show support to each other. I believe that each group needs to support each other, either through general body meetings, forums, and events, in order to have a powerful impact on this campus. 

“The Men of Color Scholastic society is an organization that exists to create harmony on campus,” Davon Harris says about the organization. “We strive to create a strong support system for the men of campus so we can then go out and be that presence that’s needed. And please don’t be fooled by the name, everyone’s a color.” 

You can check out the Men of Color Scholastic Society on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MenOfColorScholaticSociety/

Raven Rivera is a senior at Binghamton University majoring in English and Rhetoric with a minor in Theatre. After living on Long Island all her life, she made the move to upstate NY and is enjoying the snowy weather. At Binghamton, Raven is the president and editor-in-chief of the newly SA-chartered publication, Her Campus Binghamton. In her spare time she enjoys watching entirely too much television, romantic comedies and Disney movies, and preparing for her American Idol auditions one day. She is currently an editorial intern for iaam.com and in the future, hopes to move to NYC and be a head writer/executive producer of an awesome television show on ABC, NBC, FOX, or Bravo (really, any will do).