Leaving the Nest: 5 Tips for Moving Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Living on Binghamton’s campus brings a sense of convenience that is unparalleled. Every dining hall is within a five minute walk of your living community, rolling out of bed 10 minutes before class means you can get to the Lecture Hall on time, and there are nearly no out of pocket expenses.

After all of these benefits, why are upper-classmen flocking to off-campus apartments in downtown Binghamton, Johnson City, and Vestal? It comes down to two answers: cost and convenience. No longer will you be annoyed by late night fire alarms, having to vacate residence halls at Residential Life’s command, and sharing a bedroom.

When it comes to costs, the cheapest on campus housing is $6,714 without a mandatory meal plan of at least $1,719. That’s roughly $843 per month for 10 months. The average rent for an apartment in downtown Binghamton is $600 including utilities. That’s a huge difference considering the amenities gained when living in a private residence. If you’re looking for an apartment for next year, the search can be long and tedious, especially if you have no experience in house hunting. Here are five tips to aid your search for an off-campus apartment so you can find a home that suits your needs.

1.  Find out where you want to live. The hotspot for most Binghamton students is downtown Binghamton, which is located within walking distance to nightlife and restaurants. Andre Lowden, a junior accounting major, moved there “because of the location. I’m walking distance away from the bars and most of my friends live in the area.” Location should be on the top of your list, especially if you don’t have a car. Choosing an area that is close to the bus route is smart for when it snows in the winter and when you need to buy groceries, it is always helpful to have a supermarket nearby. Be sure to ask landlords or other students who live in the area how the location affects their daily living.

2.  Sort through apartment listings in an efficient way. Out of the multitude of apartment listings for students, how do you know which is the best one? The best way to discern between a good and bad deal is to know the source. Binghamton’s Off Campus College posts a comprehensive housing list with landlord information, rent, and location details. Also, the BU Pipe Dream posts apartment listings in its classifieds. Craigslist is a staple for students also, but be sure to act early on its listings because the apartments are usually rented fast.

3.  Make sure your lease is concise and fair. Everyone knows someone who has had an issue with his or her landlord that could not be fixed because of the terms on a lease. Whether it is the length of a lease, you decide to study abroad and need to sublet, or the conditions concerning a housing deposit, be sure to look over your lease with another person because you are bound to the contract once you sign it. If you’re interested in having an attorney review it with you, Binghamton offers a free legal clinic. Check out more details here.

4.  Ask questions. When Michelle Meyer, senior psychology major, signed her lease for University Plaza last year, she didn’t know that the rates for fall and spring semesters would be different. “It was a huge shock to me and my parents, but I should have asked about that before signing. Other things like mail and garbage disposal were surprises as well. I wish I had asked earlier, but I still love it.” When in doubt, inquire about almost every aspect of the apartment. When meeting with a potential landlord, jot down their answers so you don’t forget pertinent information.

5.  Make agreements with your housemates. Choosing housemates may be as difficult as finding a house. Maintaining relationships is integral to keep your house (and friendship) in order too. “When you’re off campus, no one comes to clean your bathroom,” Lowden said. Cleaning schedules vary from person to person, so be sure to be on the same page when it comes to household responsibilities. Create a calendar and place it somewhere visible as a reminder. If someone slacks on their duties, talk about it at that moment so it does not become a bigger issue later. You want everyone in your house to get along and avoid petty disagreements.

Leaving Binghamton’s campus may be a daunting thought, but living off campus is a passport to freedom and you develop more responsibilities that are essential when you have a house of your own. Happy house hunting!

Raven Rivera is a senior at Binghamton University majoring in English and Rhetoric with a minor in Theatre. After living on Long Island all her life, she made the move to upstate NY and is enjoying the snowy weather. At Binghamton, Raven is the president and editor-in-chief of the newly SA-chartered publication, Her Campus Binghamton. In her spare time she enjoys watching entirely too much television, romantic comedies and Disney movies, and preparing for her American Idol auditions one day. She is currently an editorial intern for iaam.com and in the future, hopes to move to NYC and be a head writer/executive producer of an awesome television show on ABC, NBC, FOX, or Bravo (really, any will do).