This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

It’s no secret that Binghamton’s weather isn’t exactly something to brag about; that being said, it’s really not a problem if you follow these simple steps (that I wish I knew 3 years ago).

Mandatory: Always always ALWAYS always carry an umbrella. Invest in a little one that folds up tiny into a purse or something. You will leave for class in a sunny paradise and walk out an hour later into downpour. While we’re on the subject, no one should only have one umbrella. I personally have 2 mini ones (one for my backpack, one for my purse) and a full golf-sized umbrella for moving musical equipment outside. No one should have to suffer those rusty, flimsy umbrellas from Walmart.

Optional: Rainboots and/or a rain coat. There’s nothing worse than sitting in class with wet pants, shoes, and socks after walking in windy rain. If you have the cash, go for some stylish Hunter boots but honestly, any pair of rubber booties will do the trick and keep you dry.

Mandatory: A fluffy, warm winter coat. I’m talking double layered northface. If you can, try to find a long one that goes midway to your calves because there’s nothing worse than walking through an icy wind feeling toasty on top but freezing your legs off. 

Optional: Scarves on scarves (and gloves & hats, too!). Winter accessories are the few winter things that allow us to be creative and show that deep down under that thick sweater, there’s a stylish chick. When jackets aren’t enough, scarves and hats really lock in that warmth.

Mandatory: Snow boots or shoes with gripping soles. I have absolutely slipped on ice walking to class and have fallen downhill. Our campus is relatively flat, but for those hilly walks from Mountainview, Hillside, or even the hill near Old Dickinson, you want shoes that will grip to the ground. A word to the wise, Uggs have zero traction and you will fall. You’ve been warned.

These are just the basics…stay warm!

Binghamton Contributor