2020 Women on Boards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

On November 19, 2015, 2020 Women on Boards held a national conversation about board diversity. The aim of this campaign is to have the total number of women on U.S Company Boards increase to 20% or more by 2020. 

The panel at the event was hosted by Betsy Myers, author of the book Take the Lead and founding director of Bentley’s Center for Women and Business. The board itself was composed of four prominent CEOs and Presidents at companies that are taking the corporate pledge to try and change the gender makeup of their businesses. The four included Richard DeWolfe, Chairman of ManuLife; Tom Erickson, CEO of Acquia; Shira Goodman, President of Staples North American Commercial; and Christine Schuster, President and CEO of Emerson Hospital. In the audience were members of other companies who were passionate about changing the business world to make it more inclusive for women.

Each member on the panel took the time to discuss changes their company was making to create gender diversity and how they were personally impacted by predominantly male makeup of C-Suites and Boards. What was interesting was that the two male members of the panel agreed that women brought different perspectives to the table and spurred great successes and changes in their business.

The panel as a whole was stimulating and intriguing but there were 3 key tips that stuck out.

1)      There is enough room at the top for all of us

While our competitive side may be useful in scoring internships and jobs, it’s important to remember that there is enough room at the top for all of us women. Encourage other women to try for a spot on a Board or a position in a C-Suite. The only way we will see any changes in the gender equality of the business world is if we support one and other to try our best and apply for roles we wouldn’t normally think to. It is time that we erase the stigma that women are only good at being secretaries and instead create a business world where women are at the top.

2)      Confidence is key

Women often think that they are not qualified enough for a spot when in reality they are. The key is being confident enough to put yourself out there and give it a go. One of the panel members, Shira Goodman, suggested the book The Confidence Code by Katty Kay and Claire Shipman. Go and check it out!

3)      You have to go the route that is best for you

Richard DeWolfe wisely said that one of the biggest mistakes people make in this day and age is to try and climb the corporate ladder to obtain the change in status. Rather, he suggests that you need to find your own path in or to be happy and successful

If you are interested in learning more about 2020 Women on Board you can check out Bentley Universities Center for Women in Business or visit their website at https://www.2020wob.com/

Hello! Bentley '19
Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.