This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

If you clicked on this then you’re probably a John Green fan. Whether you’ve been reading since the beginning or jumped on the bandwagon with all of the hype around The Fault in Our Stars, the release of Green’s new book, Turtles All the Way Down, marks a momentous occasion. 

This is a non-spoiler discussion so don’t worry if you haven’t read the whole book. 

After years of waiting for a new release, and the nerves of the thought that maybe Green would never release a book again, I was pleasantly surprised when he announced this novel. I have read every John Green book at least twice. Yes, I know how much of a cliche that is, but they’re just really powerful. 

Before I read it I didn’t want to know what it was about. I wanted to go in blind and figure it out. I think that’s a powerful way to read. It puts your trust in the author and in knowing no matter what they’ll entertain you, rather than basing judgment on what the subject matter is. It made it so I made no guess on what the conclusion would be or how he might go about portraying the character and whatever issue or faults they had. I just got to read. 

But, if you do want to know what it is about all I want to say is anxiety, OCD, and a mystery. I know it seems sort of open-ended and odd, but go in with just that like I did and watch the story unfold. Reading novels should be like watching a movie, and Green writes with such description it’s almost impossible to not picture every little detail in your mind. 

So go into it and trust. It is powerful and leaves you thinking. It is a story anyone can relate to, and I think it’s an important read to bring awareness to mental health and the things people go through everyday behind closed doors. 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Gabby joined Belmont as part of the class of 2021 after living in Louisville, Kentucky for 18 years. She is a chapter contributor and hopes to rise in the ranks someday soon. She is studying journalism, but also has interests in politics and law. If she isn't studying you can catch her reading, writing for Her Campus, working out, or eating some good local food.