freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Hozier’s New Music Video and Why it Matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

We’ve all heard the song “Take Me To Church.”  With its enticing lyrics and haunting melody, it tells a story unique to modern pop radio. On February 12th, Andrew “Hozier” Byrne dropped another single which may rise on the charts for its engagement with a story rarely told—that of domestic abuse, which is not so rare in actuality.  Every nine seconds in the United States, a woman is assaulted or beaten.

“Cherry Wine” is a beautifully crafted song, gentle and powerful in its message. Those who are not listening may find it to be another love song, when in reality the song is a painstaking showcase of abuse.  The first verse opens with “her eyes and words are so icy/ oh but she burns like rum on a fire/ hot and fast and angry as she can be/ I walk my days on a wire,” indicative of the theoretical eggshells that lay on the floor of an abusive relationship.

Hozier chose to have a woman enact the abuse instead of himself in his music video, released two days after the single. On February 14th, Valentine’s Day, he revealed a darker side of love (as he usually does) and reminded everyone of the suffering that can go on behind the closed doors of two people. Along with the music video, he released another video stating that all proceeds from downloading “Cherry Wine” would be donated directly to organizations around the world that help aid those who are victim of domestic abuse. You can watch the video here.

This video’s importance is widespread across all genders, ethnicities, and sexualities. It pains me to think that what can unite us is something often filled with such deeply rooted torment and wrongdoing. Just today, I received an email from our campus security, stating that last weekend a woman filed a report of being drugged and taken off campus by a male. While this is far different from the image produced in the “Cherry Wine” video, I was suddenly made aware of the potential toxicity of relationships during adolescence. As reported by the Partner Abuse State of Knowledge Project (PASK) website, 24% of individuals experience a form of domestic violence at some point in their lives. Twenty. Four. Percent. That’s nearly one in four people.

Seeing these statistics helped me understand why Hozier’s music video is so pertinent to today’s issues. If listeners click on the link provided at the end of the music video, it takes them to his website and informs you of his cause. “With the song ‘Cherry Wine’, I tried to get across the difficulty of coming to terms with and facing up to domestic violence and the dynamic of an abusive relationship,” he said in the excerpt provided on his website.  His website also reports that while men and women are victims of domestic abuse, 90% reported cases are women. The video concludes with a hashtag #FaceUpToDomesticViolence as it fades to black. How he “[shines] a light on the cycle of ‘justification’ often perpetuated in domestic violence incidents,” allows everyone to see how manipulative one’s own mind can be in situations of abuse. Being loved, hurt, and suddenly loved again warps how affection is perceived. A punch thrown is paired with a passionate kiss, a brute shove with a kind embrace along with an apology to reassure it won’t happen again.

Leaving a situation of domestic violence can seem easier to people who have not experienced one themselves; instead of being seen as an enemy, the abuser is a boyfriend, a girlfriend or a parent. Victims oftentimes find guilt within their own minds, blaming themselves for not being good enough to keep their abuser happy. Questions unravel, and hopelessness often ensues, leading to depression and thoughts of worthlessness.

A message to those undergoing this constant turmoil:

You are strong. Stronger than you think. I promise. You are more than how others treat you.

Reach out. To those who love you well, those who love you like you deserve to be loved. Do not be afraid to speak out. No one should have to endure what you are enduring.

You are not on this journey alone. Statistics don’t lie. There are individuals dedicating their lives to helping people in dangerous situations, and others like Hozier making public statements to bring awareness to the cause. There are places you can go, and people you can talk with to help.

If you or anyone you know is experiencing acts of domestic abuse/violence, you can find your local hotline here, along with statistics and ways to get involved.

Natalie Peterson is a quaintrelle with a wordy agenda-- a Songwriting Major at Belmont University in Nashville, TN, she wishes to portray her life through her own vernacular. She enjoys food, spending weekends at local animal shelters, and can often be found binge watching Portlandia or reading classics from the discomfort of her lofted college bed. You can follow her on: Twitter: @melindaloves Instagram: @melindaloves11 Tumblr: quaintrellish