Would You Rush a Fraternity?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Sexual assault and harassment have been at the forefront of many discussions surrounding colleges and universities. In light of recent events, it’s not surprising that colleges across the country are diligently trying to improve their response to the handling of sexual violence cases.  A few months ago, 55 colleges were announced to be under investigation. This includes Columbia University, where a Collegiate™ has committed to carrying her mattress with her around campus until her assaulter is removed from campus.  In addition, the issue of sexual assault has gotten even more attention in the media as more and more victims refuse to be silent. So what is the latest move to help end the cycle of sexual harassment pervading college campuses? Apparently making fraternities co-ed.

At Wesleyan University, one of the most liberal colleges in the country, plans were revealed that will give fraternities on campus three years to admit women as residents and members. Come again? Nope, you read that correctly. In order to promote “equity and inclusion,” the university is making fraternities co-ed. Compared to most other universities, Wesleyan has a relatively small amount of Greek life with less than 100 members involved out of about 3,000 undergraduates. So why is Greek life being targeted as the breeding ground for rape culture?

This change at Wesleyan comes in response to demands from the student body government to integrate women into fraternities. Those who support the resolution believe that it will help break down the social conditions of fraternities that allow rape culture, but others argue that a tradition over a century old is being unfairly broken. So what’s the point? Is Wesleyan on to something? They’ve clearly picked up on an important aspect of Greek life that allows men in fraternities to be three times more likely to become rapists that other students. Their approach may be seen as a drastic move, but maybe it’s a step in the right direction.

Although we don’t have Greek life here at BC, Wesleyan’s announcement raises many questions about what else needs to be done to reduce sexual assault on campuses. Should universities be willing to sacrifice tradition to promote healthier relationships across genders? Is there any way to break the systematic oppression that allows rape to occur? I could end with “only time with tell” but I don’t think that’s accurate enough. We Collegiettes™ have the power to ask questions, demand answers, and make this situation improve for both parties. Actions speak louder than words.

Photo Sources: 

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternities_und_Sororities

http://www.sightlines.com/going-off-the-grid-wesleyan-university-complet…

http://www.paolabailey.com/sexual_assault_on

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.