@TotalBetchMove: BC’s Own Twitter Celeb

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

We all know one.  In fact, BC, along with every college campus, is chock full of them.  Hey, if you’re lucky, you could even be one yourself.   You know, the girls with iced coffee or Diet Coke in hand at all times, probably texting or bbm-ing as they make their way up the Million Dollar Stairs.  They’re the betches, as they’ve recently come to be known as.  So what exactly is a betch?  Who better to ask than the Twitter personality @totalbetchmove?  And lucky for us at HC BC, this betch just happens to call the Heights home.  That’s right, our very own Boston College is home to the one and only @totalbetchmove.

@Totalbetchmove, an anonymous BC senior, says that being a betch is all about the attitude.  Sure, she explains, there are definitely certain accouterments that can help make up a betch, such as the aforementioned Diet Coke or iced coffee, and on the weekends Red Bull vodkas, but being a betch is so much more than that.  “A betch is a hot mess that runs shit.  Yeah, we party hard, but we still somehow always come out on top,” she explains.

But I’m getting ahead of myself.  I guess some non-betches out there might not even know who @totalbetchmove is.  Allow me to catch you up.  @Totalbetchmove created her Twitter personality at the beginning of March 2011.  “I originally wanted to make @BCgirlproblems, but when I went to create it, it had been created literally three days before.  But obviously it ended up working out in my favor.  I have over three times as many followers as the total student body at BC.”  That’s almost 30,000 followers.

Stuff “just working out,” is something that seems to happen a lot to this betch.  She describes her life as totally serendipitous, saying “betches always fall into random things that are totally fantastic.”   She says even the whole Twitter personality thing has just been a “total crapshoot.”  “One day @betchesluvthis (another popular betch Twitter personality) tweeted at me, and all of the sudden I had 2,000 more followers.”  And, as much as I tried to get to the bottom of it, she really promises there is no secret to her success.

“Sure, I’m funny, but lots of people are funny,” she told me.  But she did laughingly confess that her ADD could have something to do with it, claiming that she is always doing about twenty things at once.

I have another theory, however, after knowing her for a couple years now.  See, she happens to have an eye for trends, whether it be something like her Twitter or knowing what music is about to be huge before anyone else.

So what’s in the future for this betch?  As of right now, she’s still just enjoying riding the wave.  She’s gotten offers to make appearances and to promote new products, like caffeinated water (an ultimate betch beverage).   There will be a website in the future, she told me.  It’ll include stuff like her favorite betch beats, betch beverages, and maybe even a small clothing line in the future.  She’s definitely going to stay anonymous for the time being (so don’t even bother trying to solve the mystery, Colliegettes™)!

But she does actually include her Twitter personality on her resume, though not the name of her account.  “Actually, it’s the first question that Citibank asked me when I interviewed with them.  It’s something that is unique and really sticks out on a resume.  And I definitely think it represents something entrepreneurial.”  Oh, and I hope you caught the Citibank thing— this is one betch with brains and beauty. 

Julianne is an Ohio native studying communication at Boston College with a concentration in journalism. She got involved with Her Campus BC when the chapter launched in December 2010. She began as an editor and contributing writer, and since has moved up the ranks to Campus Correspondent. Aside from working for Her Campus, Julianne is a certified personal trainer at Boston College's Flynn Recreational Complex and teaches group fitness as well. During her sophomore year, Julianne was a part of the Arrupe Program at BC and traveled to Guatemala, learning about the culture, political, social, economic, and religious issues of the country. Her goals post graduation include writing for a health and fitness magazine or working in communications for college or professional athletics. As for now, however, she is enjoying life at the University she loves so much! An avid hockey and football fan, one can always find Julianne in the stands rooting on BC and the Boston Bruins! Other hobbies include running, yoga, cooking, baking, and photography.