Top 5 Places to Study Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

It’s that unfortunate time of year again – finals week….

While the weather gets nicer and nicer and scenes of the beach and summer in all its glory dance in our heads, we are stuck inside of our dorms and libraries studying until our brains don’t work anymore and any chance as passing off as a real human is shot (Walking Dead auditions, anyone?).  Fortunately, you can keep yourself sane and study at the same time by switching up your scenery!  Here are the best places to study off campus while, at the same time, catching some vitamin D or enjoying Boston for the last time until September!

1. Boston Public Library

If you haven’t visited the Boston Public Library yet, are you a real college student?  Located in Copley Square on Boylston Street, it’s just a T-ride away from BC.  If you are a fan of Bapst Library, you would definitely love studying here.  The long tables, high ceilings, and the sweet sound of silence will definitely put you in the mood to crack open that text book that still has the wrapping on it and study!  If you are in need of a study break, feel free to stretch your legs and check out the rest of the historical library, or grab a bite to eat in many of the restaurants located on Boylston Street!

2. Boston Commons

When the sun is out and the temperatures soar, the only thing I want to do is be outside.  The Boston Commons and the Public Garden are two great places for you to sit under a tree, relax, and reread your notes from the semester.  If you have some friends in your classes, invite them too and make a picnic out of it!  Bring a large blanket, some snacks, and a Frisbee or two for study breaks!

3. Prudential Center Courtyard

Shoppers beware – you will quickly fall in love with this study spot.  The courtyard in the Prudential Center is a surprisingly relaxing place to study, especially with the sound of the large fountain in the background.  You can either choose to sprawl out on the grass with all of your books, or snag a coffee table located around the perimeter of the area.  If you need a study break, you can grab a snack in the food court.  Don’t know what to get?  Try a Godiva milkshake AKA the most amazing milkshake ever!  Or, you can head over to Teavana and grab a nice, soothing tea!  You know what’s even better?  Rewarding yourself with a mini shopping spree once you’re done studying for the day!

4. Coffee Shops (Especially on Newbury Street)

While Starbucks has been a tried and true study spot for most, I find that they can get crowded with college student extremely fast during finals week, making that comfy couch or bar table very difficult to snag.  So, expand your horizons – try different coffee shops around Boston (trust me, there’s a lot of them)!  If you decide to go to Newbury Street, try and get an outdoor table.  You’ll get a nice view of all the blooming trees running down the street and will be able to sit back and people watch while taking a study break.  Although I have never been there, I hear that The Wired Puppy is the go-to coffee shop on Newbury – it offers 5 different levels of coffee strength and reviewers have raved about their specialty, “Hair of the Dog.” 

While there may be no replacing O’Neill and Bapst during finals week, a change of scenery might make your study schedule a little more exciting and bearable.  Either way, I am sure that everyone will do great on their finals this semester, not matter where they study!

Picture sources:

1. http://mytravelphotos.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Boston-Public-Libra…

2. http://www.imagesofanthropology.com/images/IMG_3499_copy_copy2.jpg

3.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Prudential_Center_cou…

4. http://www.bananasforbalance.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/IMG_2936-1.jpg

Boston College Class of 2016Communications and Political ScienceInterests include Legal Matter Management,  Matter Management
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum