Planes, Trains and Automobiles: Getting Around While Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

For the past two months, I have been living an extended vacation abroad, with classes stuck in the mix. Being in a small Italian city where little English is spoken, I have learned how to get around. This does not just mean finding out how to get a cappuccino or converting dollars into Euros; a large portion of the trip has been figuring out how to physically get around. Nearly every form of transportation has been used while I have been abroad, and although it was intimidating to not have an international TransLoc App on my sketchy international phone, I have managed. While here, my adventures have me going to several countries, over a few oceans and crossing through multiple mountain ranges, but when in Europe you cannot miss out on travelling! Here are a few tips for those who plan to travel abroad and want to know how to travel.

Bikes: If spending a semester in a small and manageable city, such as Parma, a bike is a wise investment. Many people in Europe replace the use of a car with a bike because it is easier to navigate and get around. The bike is great for students wanting to explore because it leads you down hidden alleys with hidden treasures that a bus will not take you; I have found some of the best gelato down the most winding roads. 

Trains: Trains are definitely the easiest way to travel when trying to get from one country to the other, or to different cities within one country. Not only is it inexpensive, but they also run frequently throughout the day.  

Best train experience: Alps Scenic Route that goes through Germany, Austria and Italy. It can get you to destinations such as Vienna and Munich with a beautiful view! You can see all the options available at http://www.eurail.com/trains-europe/scenic-trains

Planes: I’m sure anyone studying abroad is itching to travel, but the best plan is to not book anything until you are there.  Skyscanner is a great resource that I use to find cheap flights. EasyJet and RyanAir are airlines that have student-friendly prices. When booking a flight, make sure that you know how far away the airport is from where you are staying; just because an airport says London does not mean you will walk out and be greeted by Big Ben; you may be 40 minutes out of the city center. 

Buses: My BC Shuttle of abroad. I use this often to get to class and there are stops all along the main roads. You can buy a seasonal pass, which allows you to ride the bus as many times as you want! Be patient, because they are not always efficient and there is no TransLoc abroad. Make sure you always have your pass on you; not having your pass on a random inspection can give you an unwanted fine of at least 50 Euros.

Subway/Metro: If you can figure out the T then you should have no issue using the metro system abroad. It’s actually more organized, especially in Germany, because the stops list when the next train is coming. If only in a city for a weekend, you can buy an hourly pass, such as 24-hr or 48-hr, and use it as many times as you want in that time frame. 

Taxis: Avoid using one at all costs!! They are overpriced, tend to overcharge if they know you are American – no matter how hard you try to speak their native language – and they are impossible to get. I have learned in Italy that the concept of “hailing a taxi” does not exist. Therefore, I need to either call at least 20 minutes in advance or wait at a taxi stand hoping that there will be a taxi available. 

Walking: Best mode of transportation! You never miss a thing and see hidden treasures you may have zoomed by if you were not walking. Your feet are always reliable and you set your own pace.

Photo Sources:

http://www.mountaingetaway.com/news/a/107108/the-most-scenic-rail-journeys-in-the-alps

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_301/1219235886yr4j42.jpg

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum
Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.